Thread: Tim Yoder contact

Tim Yoder contact

I am interested in the Elbo Laser Guide that is listed on Tim Yoder's website, http://wtwtim.com/elbotoolaccessories.htm.

The problem I am having is getting anyone to respond to my request for information. I actually want to use it with a Monster hollowing system so I have a question about mounting. My Monster has a 1/4"-20 threaded hole to mount a laser system into. Not sure what the Elbo has.

I have used the 'Contact Us' on the website and also tried to reach out through Tim's facebook site but have not gotten any reply.

Does anyone know Tim or how I might make contact?

Thanks.

you can mount a laser pin by making a wood adapter attached to your bar.
    C&C WELCOME

Funny you posted this.. I ordered an Elbo system a few hours ago and already got a thank you message and shipping # from Tim.. so he's online at least!

Thanks David. The trick is that I need to talk to someone to check compatibility with my Monster system. If you see a phone number on any correspondence and are willing to share with me in a PM, I would greatly appreciate it.

Alternatively, if you ordered the laser system, maybe we can compare specs when you receive it!

I certainly did opt for the laser system! I'd be happy to post relevant specs & photos when it arrives, both for your benefit and others.

The only contact info I have is his email, info@wtwtim.com.

Hey Jenny, I got my Elbo system today and I can say that the laser arm is quite simple (and I mean that in the best way, it's very elegant). Its vertical bar has a 1/4-20 hole tapped in the bottom with a 1/4-20 cap screw going up through an unthreaded 1/4" hole in the last Elbo segment securing it into place. The overall length of the laser horizontal arm is about 23.5". The distance from the cutter to the laser mounting hole is 14.5".

20190118_171806.jpg
    20190118_171900.jpg
    20190118_172057.jpg

Thank you David. I have been in contact with Tim (thanks for the connection lead here) and am going to be getting my laser arm today! I will need to do a little modification to make it work with my Monster hollowing system, which I will document and share. Have fun with your new Elbo system!! I'm excited to see what you make first.

Jenny,
    Please post what steps you take to retrofit Tim's laser to the Monster rig. I also attempted to contact Tim with the same question you had. I never got a response so I gave up. Thanks.

Will do Bill. I was able to contact Tim and he is now aware that the Contact function on his website was not working. He has someone working to fix that. He did respond to the email that was shared above. From my understanding, it shouldn't take much to modify the Monster! I will let you know how it goes.

I got the Elbo Laser Guide and am using it on my Monster hollowing system. It did not work 'out of the box'. However, the work around was easy. The reason it did not work was that he diameter of the vertical solid aluminum bar for the laser guide interfered with the Monster 1/4 inch plates. My first thought and attempt at a work around was to disassemble the end of the Monster and grind back the 1/4 inch plate but that proved to be a pain so I instead went and got a 1/2 inch nylon spacer. I got one with a 1/4-20 threaded hole but in hind site, I would rather have just a through hole for the 1/4-20 bolt because all of the threaded pieces start to fight with each other at some point (the Monster has a 1/4-20 threaded hole in the 1" bar, the spacer I got is threaded and so is the vertical aluminum bar that supports the laser guide. I also had to get a longer 1/4-20 bolt than the one provided with the Elbo Laser Guide. Here is a pic. It is working fine! I turned two hollow forms today. I haven't pushed the envelope on thickness with the guide but easily achieved about a 3/16" wall thickness. Happy for now! The only modification I might still do is get a nylon washer without threads or bore out the one I have.

So in summary, I would recommend a 1/2" long nylon spacer and a 1-1/2" 1/4-20 bolt as the only parts needed to make this work with the Monster.

One other possible modification that would work would be to turn down the end of the aluminum bar to allow it to go over the Monster plates, as the nylon spacer allows. Sorry the pic needs to rotate. I was unable to get it to post correctly oriented.

rot2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jenny,
    Thanks for the information on your install and the status of Tim's website. Glad it worked out for you. I have the Monster laser setup but have had problems with it. Two replacement modules and still the laser only works intermittently. I built an additional horizontal bar, complete with a laser, that is longer than the stock one to accommodate my longer hollowing bars. I ditched the battery power and went with AC. The battery is a weak link in the Monster setup.