Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Random orbit sanders and dust collection

Random orbit sanders and dust collection

I need help with options for connecting a random orbit sander to a shop vac,does anyone make fittings for this ? I currently have a Porter cable model 390 sander. It was one of the first brushless units (I think). Basically i need a 11/2" o.d. to 2 1/2" o.d. adapter. this will help for now. I am considering longer term solutions for the sanding dust issue as well. Has anyone built a down draft table ? What cfm would be required for this ? Also other vac/sander combo options. My current shop vac is a craftsman with a cleanstream filter. The filter is great,I run two of them and clean one and let dry while other is in vac.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    I need help with options for connecting a random orbit sander to a shop vac,does anyone make fittings for this ? I currently have a Porter cable model 390 sander. It was one of the first brushless units (I think). Basically i need a 11/2" o.d. to 2 1/2" o.d. adapter. this will help for now.
    Rockler sells an inexpensive "Universal Small Port Hose Kit" that is handy for stuff like this. Like everyone else I have a random perversity of hose connector needs, and that and duct tape have met all of them.

Blog Entries
    I have a PC ROS sander and I found that I could connect it to my vacuum or DC system using the 1-1/2" hose, which conveniently has a 2-1/2" connection on one end. Two or three wraps of electrical tape around the sander outlet port made a press fit into the inside of the 1-1/2" vacuum nozzle.

I would think a 2-1/2" hose would be cumbersome to have connected to a sander during use.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I think there is a natural law of the universe that states that all power tool dust ports must be a unique size and must never fit your existing hoses.

At least that has been my experience. I've had to cobble together adapters for my dewalt miter saw, an old bosch ros, a makita track saw, a bosch router vacuum attachment, a bosch jigsaw vacuum attachment, and one for my festool tools. I really wish there were just a couple of standard sizes that every manufacturer would use.

So good luck.

If you have the funds, you could buy a festool sander. They don't expel any dust in my experience.

I too have the rockler small port hose kit and it is on sale now for $30. I use just the hose with the kit not the stock vac hose.
    https://www.rockler.com/dust-right-u...-port-hose-kit

I ended up cobbling together an old hose from my bi-pap machine. I get a new hose every few months and took the old one and believe it or not, it fit my Bosch ros perfectly. I then used the Rockler small port connector to fit my 2 1/2" dc hose. It is super light and I don't have to fight a larger heavier hose while sanding.
    Someone once asked me if the smaller size hose restricted the air flow. I told them I have not had a problem with it. It is no worse than using a small detail vacuum attachment and hose sold by most every shop vac out there.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Blog Entries
    I like the looks of that kit. I will have to go get one.

Look at the porter cable 39780 hose kit. Might work for u.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 01-14-2019 at 5:54 AM.

Thanks for the replies. That rockler kit sounds like what I need to have something anyway.Have any of you heard of pulsebac brand shop vacs ?

I also use the Rockler kit. It works with a variety of ROSes and has saved my poor lungs from a lot of dust.

I guess I am the lone dissenter on the Rockler hose kit. I bought one and hated it. Used for about a month and ended up getting a Bosch hose that fits my tools and shop vac nicely. The Rockler kit is very heavy which made it incredibly cumbersome when using it with a ROS.

Most small RO's have a standard 1.5" nipple on the end when you remove the bag. I would never attach a 2.5" hose directly to the sander as it would render it pretty much unusable. As mentioned you generally would use a standard 1.5" hose connected to the sander and the other end to the VAC. We run our RO's through a dust deputy cyclone because if you dont you'll spend more time cleaning the vac filter than you do sanding. The dust deputy doesnt get it all but it gets all but the super fines which still make it to the filter but that will give you a week or so of sanding if your not talking 8hrs a day.

Down draft tables are nice to an extent but if you can create a nice bubble of fast moving air around your sander you shouldnt need one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Have any of you heard of pulsebac brand shop vacs ?
    I looked into them when I found out there was a dealer here. I wanted the one with a 3” hose. Dealer said it was about $6,000Can. I passed. They are true HEPA industrial machines rated for asbestos and lead abatement. Check into them if you can afford the best or need it for business.

If all else fails, get close with your existing fittings and get the duct tape out

Go to Home Depot and buy a 1-1/4" to 2" Fernco, or Plum-Quik, coupling adapter
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)