Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Random orbit sanders and dust collection

Peter was that the dealer in Edmonton ? 6K is way to rich for me. I did probably spend that on my entire dust collection setup, but do not intend to for a shop vac. I bought one of the "dustopper" separators at Home depot somewhere in Montana this summer. My plan is to try out this with my old craftsman shop vac and the cleanstream filter. Once I find a suitable hose and connectors (Rockler). I was thinking about a better shop vac until I tried out the cleanstream filter,they work real well. It is made of tyvek and you wash it gently with a wand then air dry it and go. Now when I vacuum dust it stays in the vac. I may in time upgrade but will see if this combo does what I need first.

Mike they are here in Saskatoon. The one I called about was their biggest and most expensive. A 220 volt, 3” hose machine. The smaller machine s would be less. I don’t know how much though as I didn’t ask.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim M Tuttle View Post
    I guess I am the lone dissenter on the Rockler hose kit. I bought one and hated it. Used for about a month and ended up getting a Bosch hose that fits my tools and shop vac nicely. The Rockler kit is very heavy which made it incredibly cumbersome when using it with a ROS.
    You're not alone. The hose is too heavy and pulls itself right off the bench. Their design in having it contract so much makes it a bit unwieldy. The ends work fine in some ports but, slip off others under the weight/drag of the hose. An overhead support is almost a requirement.

There is always a trade-off between durability and lightness, flexibility and shape retention, purpose and cost. Mine went back and I ended up happier with a less flexible but lightweight and tough hose from Ridgid. It came in a kit focused on using your shop vac to clean you car interior for about $15. I no longer find that particular kit (glad I bought a couple of spares) but it is a lot like this. The small end is flexible and fits my BOSCH ROS perfectly.

Bosch-w-hose.jpg

It fits my Domino with one wrap of hockey tape around the port that I expected to replace often; the first wrap is still on there .

I made it a habit for awhile to pick up every random shop vac end and adapter I came across in the clearance bin. A typical 2-1/4" cuff adapts the large end of this small hose to the standard end of my larger shop vac hose. I use a shop made regulator cuff to back the suck off a bit.

Shop Vac Bleeder (4).jpg . Shop Vac Bleeder (6).jpg . Shop Vac Bleeder (7).jpg

Otherwise the vac labors and the sander pics up my sander-sitter when I grab the ROS.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    You're not alone. The hose is too heavy and pulls itself right off the bench. Their design in having it contract so much makes it a bit unwieldy. The ends work fine in some ports but, slip off others under the weight/drag of the hose. An overhead support is almost a requirement.

There is always a trade-off between durability and lightness, flexibility and shape retention, purpose and cost. Mine went back and I ended up happier with a less flexible but lightweight and tough hose from Ridgid. It came in a kit focused on using your shop vac to clean you car interior for about $15. I no longer find that particular kit (glad I bought a couple of spares) but it is a lot like this. The small end is flexible and fits my BOSCH ROS perfectly.

Bosch-w-hose.jpg

It fits my Domino with one wrap of hockey tape around the port that I expected to replace often; the first wrap is still on there .

I made it a habit for awhile to pick up every random shop vac end and adapter I came across in the clearance bin. A typical 2-1/4" cuff adapts the large end of this small hose to the standard end of my larger shop vac hose. I use a shop made regulator cuff to back the suck off a bit.

Shop Vac Bleeder (4).jpg . Shop Vac Bleeder (6).jpg . Shop Vac Bleeder (7).jpg

Otherwise the vac labors and the sander pics up my sander-sitter when I grab the ROS.
    I ended up with this Bosch hose: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's light and flexible. I step on it at least once a day and there are zero signs of wear or kinking. I dig it.

Not the only dissenter, I also have the rockler kit and find the hose to be heavy and clumsy. I got involved with Cen-Tec, they market hoses and such for central vac systems and commercial applications. I've settled on their 1 1/4 lightweight hose and cuffs for point of use dust collection on small tools, and 1 1/2 hose and cuffs for cleanup and general shop vac use. If you choose to look, search the site for "cuffs" and you'll get many options. Their stuff is relatively cheap and very effective.