Thread: Hackerspace, Makerspace, Community Workshops...Anyone belong to one?

Hackerspace, Makerspace, Community Workshops...Anyone belong to one?

For those of you that have been following my post in the CnC forum, i have been in research mode! Last week when i was a Woodcraft store a gentleman gave me a flyer to a "membership community workshop" I guess i am old cause i didn't know these things exist. Basically for 50 bucks you have access to the shop and tools. I would think this would be a great way to play with a CnC before i buy one...Any of you folks belong to one of these community workshops? They have a free "public tours" night on Mondays and Fridays in my area, I may just go check it out....

D
    Ridgid R4513 jobsite saw, Ridgid R4512 Table saw, Ridgid JP601 jointer/planer,
    Jet DC-1100VX-CK Dust collector, Bosch 1617 EVSPK router, Bosch RA1181 router table, Rikon 10-326 Band saw
    Dewalt 735 planer, Fuji Q5Platinum HVLP,

Blog Entries
    Is that $50 per day, week, month or year? I used to use wood shops on the Naval base and they worked out pretty well.

The problems that arise:
    1. when you need to use a tool and someone else is using it and your work comes to a halt.
    2. Storage of your materials and partially completed projects can be a problem or you have to haul stuff home after each session.
    3. Not everyone who uses the tools will respect them and you may have to deal with dull or damaged cutters.
    4. You may or may not be allowed to bring in your own tools.
    5. Some places charge for machine use
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

50 per month... 24/7 access after "training"
    Ridgid R4513 jobsite saw, Ridgid R4512 Table saw, Ridgid JP601 jointer/planer,
    Jet DC-1100VX-CK Dust collector, Bosch 1617 EVSPK router, Bosch RA1181 router table, Rikon 10-326 Band saw
    Dewalt 735 planer, Fuji Q5Platinum HVLP,