Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any one have some tips about unloading new Sawstop?

Any one have some tips about unloading new Sawstop?

Our new Sawstop is ready to pickup at the dealer. They will load it in the back of my pickup with their forklift, but unloading it at the shop is giving me heartburn.

Does anyone have an idea how to safely unload a 400 Pound saw?

Thanks
    I'm only responsible for what I say, not for how it is understood

Easy.

A ramp.

Make the ramp as long as you can.

Take three 8’ 2x4’s on edge make a box. Now sheath it.

If you can park so you are unloading onto a lawn. Prop one end of ramp up on bumper. Drive stakes into the lawn at base of ramp so it can’t kick out. Get a couple half sheets of plywood to put on lawn at end of ramp and a couple pipes. Shuffle plywood rolling machine on clamps till you get to a solid surface.

To be honest you do t even need pipes. The machine is not that heavy. You can man handle it walking on corner a bit then the other back and forth.

I remeber moving my first large machine. I also thought a 500lb sawstop was large. I know understand it really isn’t. It’s a very easy solo move unless you are injured or I suppose older.

Others will have some tips about unloading. I will throw this in: During assembly, check the alignment of the blade to the miter slot BEFORE attaching the cast iron wings to the main body. It probably will be fine from the factory (mine was), but if it does need tweaking it's easier to do it without the wings on. Also, if it appears to need adjustment, put on a different blade to confirm that before adjusting. Hope that helps, and congrats on the new saw!

I rented a low deck U-haul trailer and it was much easier and safer than trying to unload something so heavy and awkward from a pickup bed.

Can you back into your shop? If so can you attach a chain hoist to a beam in the ceiling? Or make a frame for one?

I have a hydraulic engine crane that I used extensively with my old import pickup but the new trucks are all way too high to do that anymore. Works well with the trailer though.

Neighbour has a skid steer with forks. Got one of those?

I assume it's not assembled, so you can unload many of the pieces, rails, fence, extensions, etc., as these are all packaged separately.

Personally, if you don't have one, I'd rent a small flatbed trailer with a fold down tailgate. Home Depot rents these as does UHaul.

Phone a guy with a Bobcat and forks. I am fortunate enough to own one and use it for moving and unloading machinery all the time.

You can do almost everything by yourself. The only time I needed help was with the main body, I had two friends come over and we slid it (in the box) off the tailgate onto the garage floor using some 10ft long 2x10 as ramp. Then we lifted in into the mobile base. I think I needed their help for 15 or 20 mins.

Bob Falk and Nick Decker have the right idea.

Or, you could rent a pick up with a lift.

Call a buddy or two, 500 pounds really isn't heavy. I just unhooked a motor that weighed 425 pounds.

I built a tilt bed lawnmower trailer, also use it to move my atv. Hauled my Hammer K3 Winner home and unloaded it in my shop with that trailer and my old Toyota pickup. By myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hubbard View Post
    Our new Sawstop is ready to pickup at the dealer. They will load it in the back of my pickup with their forklift, but unloading it at the shop is giving me heartburn.

Does anyone have an idea how to safely unload a 400 Pound saw?
    For a hundred bucks my dealer dropped it off in my shop, exactly where I wanted it. That was easy. BTW, get the Industrial Mobile Base, it's easiest to assemble the saw onto that now than doing it later.

Blog Entries
    With the investment you have in the saw, spending an additions $20 for a one day local trailer rental from U-Haul would be a wise investment.
    Open4x7Medium.png
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

If you have to do it yourself, lay the saw down on a blanket in the truck bed with the top facing the cab and strap it down. To unload, slide it back until the top is almost at the edge of the tailgate then pivot the base down to the floor or a dolly. If you are not comfortable doing it yourself and can get the dealer to deliver it for a reasonable fee, let them take the responsibility. You can definitely horse around a saw that size by yourself, just be aware it is top-heavy when upright. If you do transport it upright be certain it is strapped securely.
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 01-13-2019 at 6:28 PM.

Rick,

Here's what the store told me when I bought my Sawstop. Get 2 2x12s and place them in the back of the truck. Have the store put the saw box on the boards lying flat nearest to the cab. When you get home, pull the boards out until the saw is at the edge of the bed, then push the ends of the boards down. The saw will slide down to the ground then you can tip it upright. It works really well.

Enjoy your new saw. It's a great machine.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski