Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any one have some tips about unloading new Sawstop?

3-4 reasonably healthy men can lift a cabinet saw out of the back of a pickup truck pretty easily.

Blog Entries
    I don't remember just what mechanism I used to unload it, probably a ramp, but I did it myself & it was not difficult. Don't even open the box until you get it unloaded & in your shop. There is an order & a system to unpacking & assembling this saw. Follow it to the letter & things will go very well. Don't, & they will not go nearly as well.

The suggestion to check blade alignment before installing the extension wings is a very good one. Mine was dead on from the factory though. Enjoy!

A Uhaul can be rented for less than 40 bucks. A bum back is not really compatible with wood working.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-l...xoC-P0QAvD_BwE

I don’t own one of these, but they’re great for this type of work.

I had Woodcraft load my sawstop into the back of my BMW X5 with a fork lift. They all laughed at me, but my neighbor and I were able to get it out without breaking a sweat. Basically just tipped it onto the ground then dragged it into my shop. It’s really not that hard.

If it's in the original packaging, the main table will be on it's side, FWIW..

I would rent a pick-up with a lift-gate. Home Depot rents a 2 1/2 ton truck with a lift gate very inexpensively -- less than all but the cheapest U-Haul truck.

Plenty of ways to skin this cat...

I have the hydraulic table cart that Ben mentioned, and that's how I'd do it. That thing is very handy and can slide under a table or workbench for storage.

I rented the UHaul trailer Lee posted a picture of when I picked up my Minimax slider (1200 lbs +/-), which I unloaded by myself with a come-along.

This is definitely doable but it's worth a few bucks to be safe.

Thats the trailer I rented to pick up my Powermatic when buying it. The mobile base was able to roll right up the gate with just a few assists from a small pry bar getting over the initial lip.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    With the investment you have in the saw, spending an additions $20 for a one day local trailer rental from U-Haul would be a wise investment.
    Attachment 401135

Blog Entries
    I had Woodcraft load my sawstop into the back of my BMW X5 with a fork lift. They all laughed at me, but my neighbor and I were able to get it out without breaking a sweat. Basically just tipped it onto the ground then dragged it into my shop. It’s really not that hard.
    This is what I did. Just tilted it out the back of my Tacoma onto a dolly.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I brought the 3hp PCS home in my pickup. The rails and table are separate boxes. The rails are actually fairly heavy, so you're taking some weight out there. The saw box itself is not so bad. My BIL and I man handled it onto a hand truck and down 2x12 ramps. Home depot sells kits that let you make a ramp out of the 2x12 and lay them on your truck bed. After getting it off the truck, we just used plywood leapfrogging over the lawn into the walk out basement.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Reese-12...7100/206527507

They come in useful for all kinds of things.

I just did this and hired 2 guys to move it to my basement

But, in the back of the truck, open the box and take the pieces out. Those are pretty heavy and will only leave you with the cabinet to move out. 2 guys can move that without too much trouble.

It's not a big deal. Mine came un-assembled on a skid. The heaviest and biggest piece was the saw itself. Using a 2 wheel dolly, my son in law and I got it down into the basement where I assembled it. Wow just realize that was 9 years ago already.
    Enjoy your new toy,

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Cannon View Post
    I would rent a pick-up with a lift-gate. Home Depot rents a 2 1/2 ton truck with a lift gate very inexpensively -- less than all but the cheapest U-Haul truck.
    This might be a location thing. St. Louis, MO, Home Depot doesn't have a lift gate vehicle that I could find. They have some flatbed trucks and some trailers but none with electronic lift gates.

I could not resist! Deliver it to my house I will get it off your truck! Seriously, I needed to move my table saw and rented a trailer form u haul, the trailer had a gate that folded down to the ground and was a ramp.
    i was able to slid the saw off the trailer by my self.

This may be too late to be useful but I bought a SawStop late last year and brought it home in my little Harbor Freight trailer. I pulled the trailer with my convertible. Practically any car can handle less than 1000 lbs of a trailer and saw. I do not want a saw height of 34 inches so I built a mobile base to lift it up to 38+ inches where my old saw was. I brought all the pieces into the shop after backing the trailer in. I tilted the saw from the trailer onto the mobile base. Wasn't bad at all. I had to modify the base but I walked the saw off the base onto the pallet it came on.

My backup plan was to call my son and have him bring his engine hoist. But I didn't need to do that, my plan worked fine.

If you really want to do it yourself, I think a trailer will be worth the small additional expense. Or more people. A ramp would probably work but adds several ways for things to go wrong (saw slide off the ramp, ramp slide off the truck). I didn't need a ramp on the trailer but I could take the back off so I didn't have to lift the saw. You do not want to lift it if you don't have to.

Since there was a comment on age, I will mention I am 63. Some of us "old guys" are pretty capable.
    Last edited by Jim Dwight; 01-18-2019 at 7:28 AM.