Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Crazy Horse dolly

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    This is a good point but applies to pretty much any material handling solution with wheels/casters. Nature of the beast...

Like you, I also try to keep debris either picked up or pushed off to the side until I have a break to do things properly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post
    Interesting idea.

I did notice that his shop floor was really clean as opposed to mine which always seems to have some small wood chips, cut offs, etc., that can interfere casters on carts, dollies, etc. Since I work from a wheelchair, I really try to sweep up/remove chips, small cut offs, etc., from the floor. Have the feeling that if you can't keep the floor clean, it may not work so well. I would not want to move a 3/4"x4x8' plywood sheet and have the casters hang up/stop because of debris on the floor.
    Maybe larger casters?

Law of diminishing returns. It will become "tipsy". A broom is a cheaper option.
    -Lud

Thanks for that info. Looks like it doubles as an excellent rolling slider outrigger support.
    I am tempted.

"This is a good point but applies to pretty much any material handling solution with wheels/casters. Nature of the beast..."
    --Jim Becker.

True and that's why I have a 2x3' cart with a flat top to move sheet goods. The cart top keeps the load balanced if/when the caster(s) hang up in shop debris. I just cannot imagine trying to balance a sheet of 3/4" ply on that small top if/when the wheels on the Crazy Horse hang up.

clear floor=no problem

Here is a how to video for those that are interested in building one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-adS3abjSKk
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

<Insert Neil Young joke here>

Blog Entries
    Growing up in Indian territory, I immediately thought of Chief Crazy Horse.

Oh well

My Crazy Horse arrived today. I used it to take a stack of White oak doors leaning vertical against a wall and put them on a cart. It works amazingly well and I can see all kinds of tasks for this. The rubber ball grips well and doesn’t seem to mar finish wood. I think this will work well for wide belt sanding heavy doors when by myself along with other things!

The best ideas are always simple!
    46C19DF5-F19A-453B-9F89-5F233C856266.jpg

I just used mine seriously for the first time yesterday- man, I wish I had one 20 years ago. Cuts the work in half for panel handling.

Our backs would be in better shape Kevin!

Cut a arch top door on the bandsaw today. Worked about as well as someone holding the other end. Did a door through the WBS picking off the cart and starting through the machine was easy. Kept the dolly about 1” lower than the sander feed mat and just lifted up on the end of the door a bit.

What makes this work so well is the soft rubber dome really grips whatever you lay on top.

EF71BB29-9DD9-407E-8DCD-781C5C277393.jpg

My shop isn't huge, but it was sometimes a struggle to get things up onto TS from standing storage position, particularly MDF or particle board. Then came 5x8 CNC and I knew it was time to pull the trigger on this thing. Happy I did. A short learning curve judging center of panel tipping down onto Horse so balance is close to neutral.

I took some liberties with design to learn more about new CNC and nesting, also about bringing Sketchup model into V Carve, none of which I'd ever done. Kinda space age looking, don't you think?

P1060845 75%.jpg

P1060862 75%.jpg

P1060882 75%.jpg

Peter, Can you show and describe the metal studs you used on the base to hold sheet goods vertically? (I believe that’s what they are used for).
    Thanks Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Quote Originally Posted by richard poitras View Post
    Peter, Can you show and describe the metal studs you used on the base to hold sheet goods vertically? (I believe that’s what they are used for).
    Thanks Richard
    Perhaps this will be mo' betta. Not as complex as it might look. Stud mount casters, coupling nut like you'd use on all-thread with some 3/4" vinyl hose pushed over it.

P1060870 75%.jpg

P1060872 75%.jpg

And by the way, If someone wants the Sketchup or V Carve file, I'm happy to share with the caveat that if there's something goofy, well, you have something goofy!
    Last edited by Peter Rawlings; 01-28-2019 at 11:34 PM.