Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crazy Horse dolly

Crazy Horse dolly

In a recent thread about sliding table saws James Zhu included this link https://www.thecrazyhorsedolly.com/videos.html which got my attention. I ordered a kit and some casters https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. This the resultDSCN0580.jpg

This is going to be a real back-saver and make getting material from my vertical storage rack onto the saw and cnc router far easier than before. The sticky rubber dome at the top of the jig makes the vertical to horizontal moves a breeze with no twisting, and you never lift more than half the sheet at a time. If you watch the section in the second video starting at about 4:06 you will see how easy it is to use the sheets's weight to get it where you want it ju-jitsu fashion. You need enough room to swing a small cat, but I am in 1000 sq ft with large stationary machines and it works for me.

I made a couple of modifications to the plans. The kit is designed around stem casters, and in order to keep the same centers with the plate casters I got I widened the base by a couple of inches. I also made a couple of cutouts, added a ledger and modified two of the plywood braces to facilitate using the thing as an a-frame cart. I need to add some friction strips there as well.

Check it out.

Good video. I can see how that would be a lot of help for folks who need it. It's definitely a clever idea.
    Any idea how durable the "sticky rubber dome" is, and how to replace it downstream if you need to?
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

That thing caught my eye awhile ago...it's a really nice design that's uber-functional. I wish I could use something like that in my shop, but I just don't have the space to leverage any kind of material handling cart including this one. Sadly...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I love the idea also, I bookmarked the website. I could use it, but I'm more concerned about storage when it's not in use, so I'm thinking about a base that could fold fairly flat for storage.

I’ve been looking at those for a while Kevin. Do you think it would handle a 150 to 200lb door? Working by myself taking a door out of the vertical frame press on to a cart horizontally can be a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Calhoon View Post
    I’ve been looking at those for a while Kevin. Do you think it would handle a 150 to 200lb door? Working by myself taking a door out of the vertical frame press on to a cart horizontally can be a challenge.
    Easily. I just built one and it's amazing. You'll be handling the door with care while on the dolly and most likely the dolly won't be holding 100% of the weight because you have to balance it.

Took me an hour to make, but I was co-piddling with other stuff.
    -Lud

Thanks for this post. I will definitely be buying the kit to make one of these.

Joe,

I don't see why not. The 6 casters I used are rated at 250 #, the base is quite solid with the braces screwed to a 27" wide hexagon (I used 1" material) and the height adjusting knob is pretty well engaged with the 3/4" threaded rod. Assuming your frame press is high enough you could roll sideways onto the crazy horse, otherwise you might have to stand it on end first. I like building doors, but they are definitely a challenge working alone. You might shoot Larry Lee, the inventor, an email through his website- he has been quite responsive to me.

Frederick,

I can't comment on durability of the rubber, but it seems rugged enough. Again, contact Larry. I assume he would be able to replace the threaded rod/ rubber dome unit.

Thanks for the info Justin and Kevin. I think I will give it a try.

Interesting idea.

I did notice that his shop floor was really clean as opposed to mine which always seems to have some small wood chips, cut offs, etc., that can interfere casters on carts, dollies, etc. Since I work from a wheelchair, I really try to sweep up/remove chips, small cut offs, etc., from the floor. Have the feeling that if you can't keep the floor clean, it may not work so well. I would not want to move a 3/4"x4x8' plywood sheet and have the casters hang up/stop because of debris on the floor.
    Last edited by Ray Newman; 01-13-2019 at 2:38 PM.

Very clever idea for those with large enough shops.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post

I did notice that his shop floor was really clean as opposed to mine which always seems to have some small wood chips, cut offs, etc., that can interfere casters on carts, dollies, etc. Since I work from a wheelchair, I really try to sweep up/remove chips, small cut offs, etc., from the floor. Have the feeling that if you can't keep the floor clean, it may not work so well. I would not want to move a 3/4"x4x8' plywood sheet and have the casters hang up/stop because of debris on the floor.
    This is a good point but applies to pretty much any material handling solution with wheels/casters. Nature of the beast...

Like you, I also try to keep debris either picked up or pushed off to the side until I have a break to do things properly.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Looks like a back saver for sure. What is the footprint size on that?

Quote Originally Posted by peter gagliardi View Post
    Looks like a back saver for sure. What is the footprint size on that?
    The base is 25x30 cut as a polygonal hexagon (4 equal and 2 equal sides). Casters are inset 1" off of each point. Vertical supports are 11.5 x 14.5 and the top is an 8" diameter circle. I haven't checked the max height, but it's easily over my 34" TS and 38" chop saw stations.
    -Lud

I'm assembling a houseful of cabinets all week so I haven't go to use it extensively, but I'm hoping it will make breaking down sheets on the TS much easier - like a quasi-slider-apparatus. Even tho I have a 12' panel saw, my help still uses the TS to breakdown the sheets he works with (the weirdo).
    -Lud