Thread: Learning to make Dovetails with TrendDC400 jig

Learning to make Dovetails with TrendDC400 jig

Hi all. I spent the day yesterday preparing to construct a few accessory boxes for my shop (Router bits, drill bit accessories etc.) but got stalled when I tried to install the Trend suppled 11.1mm bushing guide which is a euro style screw onto base which does not fit on any of my three plunge routers. (UGGGGGHHH.) PS thats Dewalt, Makita and a new Porter Cable. Im very new to using dovetail jigs and actually havent had much experience using router guides so Im at a bit of a loss. I assume I can use any guide thats 11.1 mm on the jig. But being Sunday today and unable to buy a porter cable guide set today and given my rare open schedule today I was considering modifying the porter cable plunge router sub base to accept the screw on euro type Trend guide. Is that crazy? Or should I just be more patient and order a new set of porter cable guides for my router?

If you attempt to fasten your existing guides on to a standard router, the key issue is getting the guide centered on the bit. Any offset will make the pin board offset from the tail board.