Thread: Is this old rip saw a user or a wall hanger?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Is this old rip saw a user or a wall hanger?

I looked all over town for a rip saw. I want to be able to rip stock, sure, but I also want something with big teeth to learn to sharpen saws on. This was the only one in town, so I bought it.

The more I read up on old saws, the older this one seems to be. 30 inch long, plate is 9 inches tall at the heel. Compared to my Disston D8 which is etched, the Spear Jackson mark one this one looks to be stamped. The progressive tooth pattern at the toe is delta in both tooth size and rake, rather than just size, or just rake.

Looking real careful I am pretty confident the brass strap at the bottom of the handle was a repair, but a thoughtful well executed job.

Another odd thing is two of the handle connectors are threaded bolts and two are riveted.

Most all of the vintage Spear - Jacksons I can find online have five bolts, two above and two below the medallion.

I suspect it was made before 1850.

Question is, would it be a travesty to treat this saw as a user? Should I build a wall hanger for it and let it retire gracefully?
    Attached Images Attached Images