Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Machine diversity

Machine diversity

I was looking around the shop today and realized that most of my machines are different brands. I have a Unisaw, Woodtek jointer, Grizzly planer, Laguna bandsaw, Delta lathe, Rikon belt disc sander, Supermax drum sander, Rockwell drill press well as routers and small power tools from Dewalt, Craftsman, Bosch and Milwaukee.
    Charlie Jones

Me too, I buy what I like, can afford, and suits my purpose. Some new, much is CL finds. My stuff ranges from Black and Decker to Agazzani.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

The only 'platform' I have is the Makita LXT so that batteries are interchangeable. Ironically, I have had problems with the batteries in the past but have a number of tools (which I like) so do not want to swap.

Yes, I have many different brands in may shop also. Some of that comes from my willingness to run vintage equipment such as my Atlas bandsaw and Delta Rockwell Drill Press. On the other hand, I have a almost brand new Supermax sander. I like to purchase equipment that I think will best suit my needs and budget, rather than remaining brand loyal.

I have more Jet machines than any other, but not by design. They seemed to always have sales on their machines, during the time I was "gearing up", and represented a good bargain at that time. I have a Jet DC-1100, 14" bandsaw, 6" jointer, 15" planer, and 10" contractor saw.
    I have a Delta shaper, drill press, and mortiser. An 18" Rikon bandsaw. A second table saw made by General. My drum sander is by Steel City.
    I buy, or bought, what suits my needs and budget, and what I could physically move by myself. The drum sander and planer, at 500lbs. stretched that limit.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

While many of us are "anal" and like things to match visually, the bottom line really is the function you need, what you can fund and what's available at that specific time. With the mass market, in particular, there's little differentiation between "brands", so the label and paint can be a secondary consideration when shopping. I do thing there is an advantage in adopting "one system" for hand-held electrics, especially when battery power is involved because that's generally more economical in the long run and the compatibility of the system together has an advantage over "buying whatever". But for stationary and bench-top tools...brand/color is just a personal preference thing after the root need is satisfied.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hammer B3 Winner and A3-31

GI bandsaw

Powermatic bandsaw

Craftsman drill press

Oneida cyclone

GI Mortimer

Bin ford band mill

Regards, Rod

No Green Kool-aid?

I think Festool is the most successful example that gets people to equip their shops with only one color. More or less that is, even though not every line of its tools is the best.

I do have a neighbor whose family only stick to one brand of cars but know no real woodworkers who have not had more than one brand name in their shops.

Simon

While I didn't name-drop, that's pretty much what I was mentioning with my comments about the "hand held electrics" system in my post above, Simon. Very much a success story there, but I agree that there are some tools in the line that are merely adequate compared to those that are major-worthy. Not every one is going to be able to adopt that particular system, however, but the idea behind it is valid in that sticking with a particular brand for hand-helds brings some level of consistency, regardless of what color plastic they have for their form. For all the rest...it matters less.

I do think that there is sometimes a tendency for folks to at least initially end up with one particular brand for multiple tools, particularly when they are buying new and local. That was my situation early on...pretty much all Jet because that's what the local shop carried. The only exception was the contractor's style table saw which was Delta, albeit the same ivory color, because I wanted the UniFence and the price was right. I did later "standardize" somewhat when I move to Euro type equipment on one manufacturer but that's not unusual. It was't just a preference for the brand, but also the relationship I had developed with the folks who were selling it.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-13-2019 at 10:21 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

For me it is Milwaukee M18 fuel cordless and then the wild west. I have the "united nations collection " in my tool trailer,Dewalt ,Makita,Porter cable,Paslode,Hitachi etc.At my shop much the same ,Felder,Minimax,G.I., Steel city,Paoloni,Delta,Centauro etc. I buy almost exclusively used for my large machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post

I did later "standardize" somewhat when I move to Euro type equipment on one manufacturer but that's not unusual. It was't just a preference for the brand, but also the relationship I had developed with the folks who were selling it.
    Good point Jim, the other advantage is that accessories such as table extensions, fences, work holders and such can be shared, saving money and space.......Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    I do have a neighbor whose family only stick to one brand of cars but know no real woodworkers who have not had more than one brand name in their shops.
    Mostly you are correct, but do I know a guy who is in the process of turning all of his equipment to Felder pieces in his cabinet shop.

I don't get it.

He even has a Felder router on the way even though there it's NOBODY around who will work on it.

I buy whatever fits the bill the best. Sometimes it's money
    Sometimes it's availability
    Sometimes it's service.

I have Diehl, Felder, Weeke, Tannewitz, Northfield, Castle, Unique, Whirlwind, Cantek, SAC, SCM, Powermatic, Toyota, Delta, Jet, Oakley, JLT, Denray, Striebig, Leadermac, OMGA, Derda, Apex, and probably a couple I'm forgetting.

None of it was purchased because it matched anything else, with the exception of some of the powermatic stuff when I first started and was stupid, but most of that has been washed out.

Handheld corded tools, I've got just about everything.

Two of my guys use Makita cordless, I run Panasonic.
    Last edited by Martin Wasner; 01-13-2019 at 1:07 PM.

I have some diversity but mostly Grizzly in my small shop (12x18) because of costs factors:

Grizzly - Table saw (G0833P), Band saw (G0555LX), Dust collectors (Wall mounted & mobile)
    Powermatic - Jointer (Model 50)
    DeWalt - Planer (734)
    Jet - Drill press (15in Bench top)

Mine's a mix of what I thought was best for me ay yje time.

SawStop PCS175 although getting the 3HP upgrade on Tuesday.
    Hammer A3-31 Jointer/Planer
    Laguna 14/12 Bandsaw
    Oneway 1224 Lathe
    SuperMax 19-38
    Delta Drill Press
    ShopFox 1812 Moulder
    Powermatic PM719 Mortiser
    Jet 1100 Dust Collector
    Woodpecter & Jessum Router Lifts in tables
    Festool Track saw, Domino, Router, Sander and vacuum
    Hitachi, Bosch & Porter Cable hand routers

I forgot to add my Clear Vue cyclone. I bought it back when Ed Magano owned the company. He heated the plastic in an old range and wrapped it around a wooden form. He has a home made C and C router to cut out the parts. Then you had to source your own motor and fan. It still works great.

I started out in the early nineties planning to stay with Delta. We all know how that went.
    Charlie Jones