Thread: Base for 14in. Powermatic Bandsaw

Base for 14in. Powermatic Bandsaw

I need to buy or build a base for my 14 inch Powermatic Bandsaw. The one that Powermatic sells does not get good reviews because it only has three wheels (poor stability) and the wheel locks don' work well. The curved sides in this saw may not work with many of the generic bases. Does anybody have a recommendation of a base for purchase or ideas/pictures for a home-built base?

The curved sides of the saw shouldn't be an issue with a commercial mobile base...just put a piece of plywood in the mobile base after sizing it to be large enough to accommodate the saw.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have had very good results with the Grizzly Bear Claw mobile base. I have my table saw, jointer, band saw, and a a 15 in bench top DP, on a shop made stand, on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Watling View Post
    I need to buy or build a base for my 14 inch Powermatic Bandsaw. The one that Powermatic sells does not get good reviews because it only has three wheels (poor stability) and the wheel locks don' work well. The curved sides in this saw may not work with many of the generic bases. Does anybody have a recommendation of a base for purchase or ideas/pictures for a home-built base?
    I really like the Portamate 2500 for this, with a sheet of plywood in it as Jim Becker suggested. In particular, it's very forgiving of uneven floors, which makes the saw less likely to tip when you hit a minor "obstruction" while moving it. (But be aware that when it's in "stationary" mode the base will be tilted slightly, so you have to shim the plywood with a furring strip or something, otherwise it can feel kind of weird. I have one under my mortiser, adjusted thusly.)
    Last edited by Doug Dawson; 01-13-2019 at 6:00 PM.