Thread: Exhaust DC outside part time?

Exhaust DC outside part time?

I am still surviving with a shop vac that has a dust deputy and autostart switch. But it doesn't really work well for my new SawStop nor my old 8 5/8 jointer or 10 inch planner. So I started running another 110V circuit today and may finish it tomorrow. I am pretty sure I will get the "2hp" HF and a super dust deputy, hopefully the XL (I think it will do better with fine dust due to its height but I have a 8 foot ceiling to deal with). I'm thinking I will use a 5 inch main line dropping to 4 inch at the tools. I may use metal for the 5 inch and plastic for the 4 inch just due to easy availability.

But I am also starting to think of setting it up to be able to discharge outside or through a filter. Most of the year in South Carolina, I work with the doors open so outside discharge would be fine. But there are a few months that are too cold or hot to do that. So it would be nice to be able to just filter the air those months.

Has anybody done this?

I blow all my stuff outside. Only downside is I burn up motor bearings about once every 1.5 years because it's not designed to blow without bag resistance. There's a guy down the road that rebuilds motors for cheap, so I don't really care. I'm about to upgrade to a cyclone system because I'm going to start climate control in my shop.
    -Lud

For years, back in Chicago, I exhausted outside, even in the dead of winter. If it sucked in some cold and pushed out a little heat, I didn't care. I just liked the convenience no filter to clean and the safety of blowing all that fine dust outside.

When I moved to Florida and put larger tools and the cyclone DC in a one car garage, exhausting outside in the summer meant pulling in hot air and pushing out cool air that was immediately felt. Only then did I find it necessary to install an inside filter. I hate the summer heat here!
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dwight View Post
    I am still surviving with a shop vac that has a dust deputy and autostart switch. But it doesn't really work well for my new SawStop nor my old 8 5/8 jointer or 10 inch planner. So I started running another 110V circuit today and may finish it tomorrow. I am pretty sure I will get the "2hp" HF and a super dust deputy, hopefully the XL (I think it will do better with fine dust due to its height but I have a 8 foot ceiling to deal with). I'm thinking I will use a 5 inch main line dropping to 4 inch at the tools. I may use metal for the 5 inch and plastic for the 4 inch just due to easy availability.

But I am also starting to think of setting it up to be able to discharge outside or through a filter. Most of the year in South Carolina, I work with the doors open so outside discharge would be fine. But there are a few months that are too cold or hot to do that. So it would be nice to be able to just filter the air those months.

Has anybody done this?
    I have. It's 9 degrees here in southern New Hampshire this morning. I was setting up a machine, and had to run a blower with a 10" outlet for two hours. The outlet is out doors. I have radiant heat, gas hot air, and electric space heater. This was a little extreme, but it stayed in the high 50's. It had gotten down to 42 degrees over night, when the heat was off. I also have a 3 hp blower with a 6" outlet. That one makes no noticeable difference. I have run the little blower vented outdoors for more than ten years. I think it's a Penn State brand, made in Asia.

It's important to put blast gates outside the building to make sure you can close the duct work off from infiltration (and mice) when not in use. I use pass through blast gates to keep the channels clear.
    Last edited by William Hodge; 01-13-2019 at 12:26 PM. Reason: spelling, Mrs. Horvath (3rd grade) would be proud.

Mine vents outside in Kansas. Some days in winter for a couple weeks get really cold. When I can't keep the shop warm I vent through a filter back into the shop. I built a 8" blast gate for exhausting outside, and a sort of 8" dryer vent for the outside of the shop. The cyclone keeps everything clean until the barrel runs over, then it is spraying dust and chips all over the side of the shop.