Thread: Wood ID

Wood ID

Can anybody help with wood ID?
    Second from right is one I don't know what wood is it.
    From right to left:
    Ash, ?, Walnut, Cherry, Oak.IMG_20190112_160231.jpgIMG_20190112_160251.jpg
    Jaromir

Looks like ipe to me, but it could be a number of other tropical woods.

Does it feel very hard? Did you mill these boards or did someone else make this glue-up?

Yes, it's heavy and nice to work with.
    Jaromir

Blog Entries
    If the piece is the same weight as the the piece you know to be walnut, I suspect it is a piece of walnut that has been exposed to the light for a while.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I think it's walnut too. Sometimes walnut is steamed to even out the color, which may explain why it's so different looking from the sample next to it. The grain pattern absolutely says walnut to me.
    Chuck Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gibney View Post
    Looks like ipe to me, but it could be a number of other tropical woods.

Does it feel very hard? Did you mill these boards or did someone else make this glue-up?
    nd for ipe. I just finished a garden bench with ipe and it looks just like what I worked with.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

My first thought was walnut. This pic is black walnut from the wood database.

black-walnut-200x200.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    If the piece is the same weight as the the piece you know to be walnut, I suspect it is a piece of walnut that has been exposed to the light for a while.
    No it is not same weight, it's heavy.
    I don't think it is domestic wood.
    Jaromir

Hard to say, piece 2 from the left looks almost like yellow birch cut on the quarter with a little bit of curl or maybe a piece of fresh cut cherry with sapwood and heartwood. Birch can be as heavy as hard maple sometimes. Compared to piece 4 it looks actually looks more like cherry, but that could just be an artifact of the picture color, although cherry does sometimes have that greenish cast to it.

Jaromir,

Perhaps this response in another wood ID thread "Is this Pecan wood?" will help: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....46#post2886546 Everything else is just a guess. You may get educated and experienced guesses but still guesses.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jaromir Svoboda View Post
    Can anybody help with wood ID?
    Second from right is one I don't know what wood is it.
    From right to left:
    Ash, ?, Walnut, Cherry, Oak.IMG_20190112_160231.jpgIMG_20190112_160251.jpg

11. This is why I've got into the habit of labeling my wood. I have about 20 pens that I don't have a clue anymore.

When in doubt, I call it Tree Wood.

Its not cocobolo, is it?

Try putting a 16d nail in it, if the nail bends and you hit your thumb with the hammer it is Ipe.

I built a porch and balcony out of ipe and the coloration looks very similar. However, most the boards i worked with were more straight grained. Ipe is very heavy and weighs about 5.75 per board foot. Weigh yours and do the math, if it is close that would be my guess.

I'm guessing teak for the 2nd from right. 2nd from left definitely looks like birch. Cherry will have a fleck in it when cut quatersawn. I also don't see any ray fleck in what you are calling oak. Can't see the end grain so can't verify that.

The second from the right looks like some jatoba that I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    I'm guessing teak for the 2nd from right. 2nd from left definitely looks like birch. Cherry will have a fleck in it when cut quatersawn. I also don't see any ray fleck in what you are calling oak. Can't see the end grain so can't verify that.
    Yes, it's teak. There were few other boards in stack and they're marked. I bought bunch of lumber at auction so I'm not sure about some boards.
    Jaromir