Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Felder KF500 Pro question

Okay, duh moment. Got the scoring blade belt on finally. And realized what the 250mm blades are for. To use scorer you must use 250mm blade and 80mm scorer. This picture shows the label I was confused by earlier and a 315mm/12” blade mounted. No room for scorer with this blade so my blade purchase may have limited value but will still be handy for solid woods. Just means having t take the scorer blade on and off a lot. Oh well. Must be the deal with the hammer internals. Wish it would mount the 12” and scorer but oh well.
    02B372E1-A4BF-447E-83AC-0B83C0FD7E82.jpg
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 02-02-2019 at 4:29 PM.

AH...that's a difference between your saw and mine...my scoring blade is set far enough back that it's compatible with the 12" blade.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Yep. That’s the hammer internals I guess. Not a big deal but on a mixed media project it means lots of blade changes or using only 10” blades. Anyway, given the fact that I only paid $3,400 for the whole package, I can’t complain. As mentioned I think there is that much in accessories here.

Then I managed to trade my used Powermatic PM66 and grizzly 17” in a deal for the MM16, so I think I did okay there too.

anyway, short of a full blown combo unit that had the J/P in it, I’m so thrilled with this new setup I can’t stand it. Just wish I knew how to just tear into it and set it up without the learning curve. LOL.

The weeks it it will take me between work and family obligations make the setup seem to take forever but I keep reminding myself that these are my “forever” tools. Yeah, right. But that’s what I keep telling myself. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    AH...that's a difference between your saw and mine...my scoring blade is set far enough back that it's compatible with the 12" blade.

Hi Greg, the bracket prevents you from mounting a 12 inch blade when the scoring saw is fitted.

I always use a 10 inch unless I need the added height when ripping rough material....Rod

Thanks Rod. Unfortunately the learning curve is steep on these things. I ordered the 12” kit while it was on sale. That said had 8 realized it would have l8 item value I’d probably have stuck with10” blades except one for thicker stock. Oh well.

Made ok progress today on setup. Got the plug installed and the saw powered up. Lots more to go but think I’m ready to start leveling and aligning the saw next weekend when I get back in the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi Greg, the bracket prevents you from mounting a 12 inch blade when the scoring saw is fitted.

I always use a 10 inch unless I need the added height when ripping rough material....Rod

It sounds like for this particular machine, using the 10" blades most of the time like Rod mentioned may actually be the way to go so you can leave the scoring blade on and leverage it quickly for when it's the right tool for the job.
    --

Enjoy,Felders are sweet sliders.

Greg, I don't know if you noticed it, but Ben has some very nice Felder accessories for sale in the Classifieds if your machine is compatible with them.
    --

Thanks. Yes, we talked but I had ordered the whitehill combo block which covers the rebate cutter, and the slot cutter is too large for my shaper hood, which I think is the upgraded 240mm model but still 10mm too small.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Greg, I don't know if you noticed it, but Ben has some very nice Felder accessories for sale in the Classifieds if your machine is compatible with them.

Got electrical sorted out yesterday. Working through blade alignment, saw leveling, etc today.

looks like I have to make a call to Felder in morning. None of the digital height and angle gauges I ordered from the e-store work on my machine. Also, I don’t need a box of 12” blades since I can’t mount a 12” and scorer. Looks like I need the, to research if there is a part number that fits my 2007 model for the digital angle gauge for shaper and spindle. Also want to swap the 12” blades for 10” models for simplicity. Should generate enough credit to exchange for 10” blades and put towards an adjustable slot cutter but we will see what they say.

Need to to figure out a power feeder and mount bracket next. I’m thinking of just getting a STEFF 2038 instead of the Felder F38, but not sure if I’ll be missing anything if I do. Looks like the STEFF model is heavier and also looks like STEFF makes the Felder units.

Anyway, making slow progress on setup between work obligations.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    Got electrical sorted out yesterday. Working through blade alignment, saw leveling, etc today.

looks like I have to make a call to Felder in morning. None of the digital height and angle gauges I ordered from the e-store work on my machine. Also, I don’t need a box of 12” blades since I can’t mount a 12” and scorer. Looks like I need the, to research if there is a part number that fits my 2007 model for the digital angle gauge for shaper and spindle. Also want to swap the 12” blades for 10” models for simplicity. Should generate enough credit to exchange for 10” blades and put towards an adjustable slot cutter but we will see what they say.

Need to to figure out a power feeder and mount bracket next. I’m thinking of just getting a STEFF 2038 instead of the Felder F38, but not sure if I’ll be missing anything if I do. Looks like the STEFF model is heavier and also looks like STEFF makes the Felder units.

Anyway, making slow progress on setup between work obligations.
    You will need a tilt away bracket and should consider a gas assist shock to aid in raising and lowering. I originally got a F38 for my and it worked OK. PIA to change speeds. 2 years ago found the Comatic DC30 and now use it on my shaper and moved the F38 to my AD951. IMHO the DC30 is superior for 2 reasons, first easy to adjust speed and extremely easy to change from horizontal feeding to vertical feeding. I have no connection to the supplied link but found them extremely easy to deal with especially living in Canada. Many members of the Felders Owner Group have also recommended this as a great upgrade and is the preferred venue for brand specific questions.

https://www.shopgearinc.com/products...able-speed.php

Quote Originally Posted by John Kee View Post
    You will need a tilt away bracket and should consider a gas assist shock to aid in raising and lowering. I originally got a F38 for my and it worked OK. PIA to change speeds. 2 years ago found the Comatic DC30 and now use it on my shaper and moved the F38 to my AD951. IMHO the DC30 is superior for 2 reasons, first easy to adjust speed and extremely easy to change from horizontal feeding to vertical feeding. I have no connection to the supplied link but found them extremely easy to deal with especially living in Canada. Many members of the Felders Owner Group have also recommended this as a great upgrade and is the preferred venue for brand specific questions.

https://www.shopgearinc.com/products...able-speed.php
    Like John I all so had a F38 which I found a pain to change speeds and to change from horizontal to vertical feeding. I’m not sure, but I think I was told before the F38 is a rebadged Steff.
    Living in Canada I bought one of the Cantek DC feeders through Ackhurst in Edmonton. It’s the same feeder as John linked above, but with a different name and paint colour.
    http://www.akhurst.com/product/dc30-...-power-feeder/
    Last edited by Mike Delyster; 02-10-2019 at 8:14 PM.

Blog Entries
    In the 5 years I’ve had my CF741, I’ve never used the scoring blade. I don’t work much with sheet goods, but when I do I have found the cuts to be quite clean without scoring. It’s a pain to setup the scoring blade. Ymmv.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike King View Post
    In the 5 years I’ve had my CF741, I’ve never used the scoring blade. I don’t work much with sheet goods, but when I do I have found the cuts to be quite clean without scoring. It’s a pain to setup the scoring blade. Ymmv.
    I use it daily but then I work with a lot of varying sheet material. Scoring is typically only for sheet goods, while you can get some good cuts, in some sheet goods, its very blade and material sensitive. Scoring basically eliminates this and the associated bottom blowout. While it can be a bit tedious the first time, once you understand the procedure you have to use to do to get to your final setup it becomes much easier, it rarely takes more then 5 minutes now.

Watched the video. For the money it looks like the right way to go. Thanks for the lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Delyster View Post
    Like John I all so had a F38 which I found a pain to change speeds and to change from horizontal to vertical feeding. I’m not sure, but I think I was told before the F38 is a rebadged Steff.
    Living in Canada I bought one of the Cantek DC feeders through Ackhurst in Edmonton. It’s the same feeder as John linked above, but with a different name and paint colour.
    http://www.akhurst.com/product/dc30-...-power-feeder/