Thread: Easywood Turning Tools

Easywood Turning Tools

I recently purchased the Easywood Full size rougher and Full size finisher carbide tools from Lee Valley and am very happy with the way they work. I see on the Easywood website http://www.easywoodtools.com/ that they now have negative rake cutters for them. I've read a few posts here about the good results when using negative rake scrapers but don't have one. I am very interested in trying these cutters and am wondering if anyone here has Easywood tools and has tried these cutters or are they too new to expect anyone to have one yet?

I saw the negative rake scrapers as well and am curious what other people think. I believe that the principle behind HSS NRS is that they shave off wood with the bur (or is it burr?). On a carbide insert, you won't have a bur.

Following...

Barry please see the links below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7BjRcSDurM

Watch from 1 hour 31 minutes pay particular attention at 1 hour 40 minutes

and

http://www.woodworkersemporium.com/c...ion-Manual.pdf

regards Brian
    Last edited by Brian Deakin; 01-13-2019 at 6:00 AM.

I seem to remember that EWT was recommending the Neg Rake inserts for use with Acrylics, and that they still recommended the "standard" inserts for wood. Having said that, I've used them on wood and they do a good job.

Well, NRSs are supposed to cut with a burr. I haven't tried the carbide ones, and probably won't unless some one gives me one. I did hear a comment that the carbide ones do not cut as well as the burred ones. I don't agree with Stuart's comment that the NRS and shear scrape is the same cut. One is a scraping cut, which does still pull at the fiber, though not as much as a standard scrape. The shear scrape is at a much higher angle to the wood fiber and spin so it more gently lifts the fiber as it cuts rather than pull. From my experience, a NRS or standard scraper work well across the bottom of the bowl, but not as well as a shear scrape on the sides. NRSs are great for box work where you are pretty much all in end grain...

rpbp hippy

"Negative rake" scrapers without a burr work well for plastics and metals - some machining tool bits have been sharpened that way for a long time.

Without a burr? Not so great with most woods, but OK for harder, fine grained woods. Maybe since they are closer to metals?

Proof is in the using - try a test with one next to a NRS with a burnished burr using various woods. My own experience with the quality of surface with EWT was disappointing so I gave mine away. Before guessing, can anyone feel one check and see if perhaps a burr is built into the carbide? That might make a big difference.

JKJ

Having used both Easy Wood tools and HSS scrapers I would say that well sharpened HSS scraper cuts better for some cuts. The Easy Wood Finisher is great for rough hollowing of bowls while it’s sharp and I do use them for that purpose. I ow sharpen with a Tormeo diamond wheel using the Tormkek gouge jig which comes with a jig to sharpen carbide cutter inserts. And it works well for the round finisher cutter. A good way to keep them sharp for multiple reuse.

I tried one, (mini round finisher) and I am impressed. I first have to say that I am NOT a carbide fan. I have several "flat" carbides, and my go to carbide is the Hunters. If I use carbides. They do have their place. Roughing where a gouge can't reach. No sharpening. The EWT NR carbide works well on the inside of koa calabashes. Not as good as a fresh NRS burr, but no sharpening. It may do well in acrylics, but I don't do acrylics.
    I think if you already have the tool, the price of the carbide is "cheap" and worth a shot. Just my $0.02.
    BTW, if you have the Rockler mini carbide set, the small round EWT carbide does fit it. But since I hate swapping out the insert, I did cave in and buy a real EWT tool handle. I like the NR carbide.... Koa is very chippy, and this helps a lot.

Thanks guys for the replies.... I contacted Lee Valley and although they have no plans at this time to carry ND inserts they said if I email them my member number they will see what they can to to special order them in for me...