Thread: Shellac sanding sealer prior to spray lacquer

Shellac sanding sealer prior to spray lacquer

I don't have any lacquer sanding sealer. Can I use Sealcoat (dewaxed shellac sanding sealer)? Thanks.

Thin the lacquer and use it.? I use shellac sanding sealer under lacquer regularly, OBTW. I've also thinned lacquer and used it.
    YMMV.

Here's a nice, concise explanation of the difference between a sanding sealer and a sealer - like Sealcoat. Shellac (dewaxed) is commonly used as a barrier coat between different finishes because it is compatible with so many other finishes. It is fine under lacquer but doesn't have the same consistency and sanding qualities of what I think of as a true sanding sealer.

https://www.rockler.com/learn/when-t...anding-sealer/
    RD

Eugene - I should have clarified that it's rattle can lacquer, thus, I can't thin it.

Richard - thanks for the link.

Been using rattle can lacquer lately myself to avoid needing to clean the spray gun. May try water based lacquer going forward. Need the temp to go up and the humidity to go down in NC so I can catch up on finishing.

I use Zinsser Sealer and Finish and cut it 50% by volume, FWIW.

Rattle can lacquer and sanding sealer are both very thinned in the can--necessary to spray at very low pressures and small orfices on cans. This alone justifies a spray gun if possible. Also premixed lacquers have differing amounts of retarder. This is always used here in the humid south to prevent fogging in the finish. Retarder(really neceasary) is just a slow drying lacquer thinner--lacquer as delivered dries so fast that it cools and traps water vapor on high humidity days. It is also good to level out orange peel due to fast drying. Old Forester and hot rodder.