Thread: Account removal policy?

Account removal policy?

Do you have a policy that covers removing accounts on your forum; as in, if someone asks, do you comply?

Accounts cannot be "removed". They can only be shut down. It's not just a matter of policy...that's how forum software works and content is tied to an account. Related to that, SMC does have a written policy that content, once posted, remains. It's in the TOS.

Jim
    Forum Moderator
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-12-2019 at 2:13 PM.

Thank you, Jim, but forum software (like vbulletin in use here) does in fact allow account deletion. You can mass delete content from a userID (if you allow that), and then the account.

It was a hypothetical question.

While it's "physically" possible to delete an account, it messes with a lot of things. And again, content posted here is considered "permanent" via the TOS and will not be deleted. That was the context of my answer and I'm sorry if I worded things poorly. None of the forums I help moderate or participate in delete accounts or content, as a matter of fact. (3 sites moderated and about a half dozen more I visit frequently)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

When you start a thread and a number of people participate they are offering their time and expertise to help. Removing your thread automatically removes their comments which also means that others will never benefit from posts shared.

If you contribute to a thread, lets say you post three times, then removing your posts leaves holes in the discussion that may or may not render the conversation useless.

If we use the automated means of removing an individuals posts it will change your name to Guest but it will not remove your name from any post when someone else quoted your text.

This is why we do not delete user login names, we simply change your account title and status.