Thread: Another outdoor table finish question

Another outdoor table finish question

- I have Atlantic White Cedar stickered and air drying for about 2 years.
    - I moved the wood into the basement workshop for past 2 months to acclimate
    - I have the design and plans
    - I am ready to start construction

What need help with is finishing.....I really hate finishing.

I am looking for the most robust natural matte finish that will have long life and potential easiest touch up / repairs in future years

Table will be placed outdoors under covered pavilion, year round in western NY.

Is Epihanes still leading candidate???

Thanks in advance

Epifanes is gloss, not so good for matt. If the covered pavillion means that the table will get little to no sunlight, your issue is more likely to be mildew or algae. I can't be of much help for specific products in those regards, but I'm sure there will be folk who do have such experience.

Structure faces due NW and gets morning sun, so I don't think mold / mildew will be issue.

Just trying to utilize best possible topcoat to keep a natural matte look with non greying for as long as possible with as minimal maintenance touch ups / re-do's.

Contemplating a cover as well as well

pool.jpg

General Finishes Exterior 450 comes in satin and has a very natural look. Doesn't take 7 coats either; 3 will do it. Brush or spray, too.

If you are willing to add some color then Sikkens/PPG Cetol Door and Window finish is outstanding and easy to maintain. They have a satin topcoat but you have to start with a minimum of two coats of one of the colors.

John

I probably overstated "natural". I am leaning towards some color. Would the Sikkens still be top choice over GF or is there a better combination of GF stain and some top coat?

Epifanes makes a natural rubbed finish which is satin.

Epifanes rubbed finish satin is an interior finish. They do make a Matt finish which can be used outdoors but is recommended only over multiple coats of gloss varnish.
    Last edited by Steve Schoene; 01-14-2019 at 1:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brian cammarata View Post
    I probably overstated "natural". I am leaning towards some color. Would the Sikkens still be top choice over GF or is there a better combination of GF stain and some top coat?
    I would prefer the Sikkens over GF as I feel it's a better product. It's designed to breath so it won't peel. My experience with it so far has been very good. I have it on a Sapele door facing due West with no protection from rain and sun. It's been on almost two years now and still looks great. I'll need to inspect it this spring to see if it's worn enough to warranty a new coat of clear satin on top.

John

Does anybody use deck/fence finishing products for outdoor furniture? I have used Cabot Australian Timber oil on one bench project (its not really an oil) that has held up well.

I would recommend applying a clear penetrating epoxy sealer as the base coat. I built an outdoor bench and several "Little Free Library" boxes over the past couple of years and used the CPES from Jamestown. It is a two-part epoxy that you mix up and thin with denatured alcohol. Brush it on and let it soak into the wood. Put a couple of coats on, then let it cure for a couple of days. It hardens the wood fibers and prevents water infiltration that damages the wood. Top with your choice of finish. Personally, I like a good marine varnish, like Jamestown or Epiphanes.

Have fun!
    TedP