Thread: SMC inspired cheap-n-easy Router table

SMC inspired cheap-n-easy Router table

Last week I had a conversation about using a plunge router on small elements. Everyone offered great advice, from building jigs to making a router table.

I decided to make a cheap, overhanging router table.

Collage - Router table.jpg

My router is a cheap Lidl 'Parkside' model - it works well, but they cut some corners so it presented a few problems. I ended up over-engineering the whole thing, but that was half the fun!

Problem 1: No continuous operation. You need to depress the thumb button and hold the trigger.

My solution: A zip-tie on the trigger and an on-off switch power adapter (not pictured here).

Problem 2: Weird baseplate bolts. The inner diameter is tapered, but the threads are not, making it impossible to buy longer bolts without re-threading the holes.

My solution: Secure the router using through-rods instead. The project would have been so much simpler with standard bolts! I was a little worried about sideways movement from the vibration, so I glued some wood blocks (not in the image). I guess I could have routed out the shape of the baseplate, but I wanted to avoid dust. Anyway, it's rock solid now.

Problem 3: No raising mechanism.

My solution: It's a plunge router, so I just manually push it up and lock it. Takes a few tries to get it exact, but that doesn't bother me.

Problem 4: No dust collection.

My solution: I'm working on it! Maybe a vacuum port on the back of the fence.

I know this isn't some beautiful project, but it will open up a lot of new projects for me. I also enjoyed it because it required some deep thinking. Maybe it's helpful for other people with no router table yet.

Questions and comments welcome!

David,

Gary Rogowski and Doug Stowe both use, at least sometimes, a setup like you've got. Below is one that Doug Stowe used in his box making DVD.

simple-router-table_5F00_lead1.jpg

Thanks Brian. That's a great photo for dust collection. I'll have to make that too.