Thread: 5x5 Wye or 5x4 Wye?

5x5 Wye or 5x4 Wye?

I am in a new shop and I am ready to "pipe" my dust collection system. This wasn't an issue in my older shop, which was small and I simply drug the DC hose to the various machines. I have an Oneida Mini Gorilla and I have been very pleased with its performance. The way I have configured my shop and the various dust producing tools, I will not be dealing with long runs, so I am feeling fairly confident that the Mini Gorilla will be sufficient for my needs. That said, the problem I am having is finding a fitting to work with the Mini G; it has a 5" inlet which I would like to fit with either a 5"x5" wye or a 5"x4" wye. (If I use a 5"x5" wye, I would then reduce it with a 5"x4" reducer). Does anyone have a recommendation where I should look to find either one of these fittings? Thank you!

Assuming you are using metal duct, oneida air systems has both of those wyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    Assuming you are using metal duct, oneida air systems has both of those wyes.
    Thank you. In truth, I looked earlier at the Oneida site and did find "wye pants" for over $90! However, after reading your suggestion, I went back to the site and found that I had overlooked a page that had other "wyes" for less than $40. Your input encouraged me to revisit Oneida, thank you!

Someone else here recommended the Kencraft co. for dust collection fittings; they may be a little cheaper still.

Donn:

Try these from WoodRiver.

I don't recommend those plastic molded "dust collection" fittings at all...they often tend to be inconsistent in cross-section and are not designed to mate with other hard pipe...just hose.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Spiral Manufacturing in Minneapolis is another possibility; they seem to have about everything. It is where I got my fittings. Not sure what they charge for shipping, since they are local for me.

https://www.spiralmfg.com

Good to know. Thanks, Jim.

Don’t buy ductwork from Oneida - it’s super marked up and expensive. KenCraft is a much better option.