Hello,

As the title says, my new Mini-Gorilla is tripping the breaker on startup about half the time when cold-starting. It seems to start fine once it has been running and is shut off for a short period of time. It runs on a dedicated, non-GFCI circuit that has been checked and rechecked with a diagnostic tool, the 20A 120V breaker has been swapped out without changing the problem. The line indicates 122.4V at the outlet.

Here are the specs from the motor plate: 60Hz, 115/230V, 1.5HP, FLA 16.0/8.0, SF 1.15, SFA 17.6/6.8, KVA Code J

From what I read online, KVA Code J is 7.1-7.99 kVA/HP. Using this:

"The general equation for single-phase devices is the following: LRA=1000*(kVA/HP)/Voltage. "

I get 1000(7.5/1/5)/122 = ~40A

40A will obviously trip my 20A breaker but perhaps I am misunderstanding what the KVA Code means. I think it refers to a locked rotor- is that at all similar to a rotor in a less than ideal starting position? Or in other words- am I using the wrong thing to calculate the max load that motor can place on the circuit?

Any suggestions on how to fix the problem appreciated. I am getting tired of walking over to the circuit breaker so often!

I have sent 2 emails to Oneida customer service without a reply. To be fair, the second one was just this afternoon, Friday.

Thanks!