Thread: Orange peel with GF HP Topcoat

Orange peel with GF HP Topcoat

I finished a table top with about six coats of GF High Performance Topcoat Gloss over a couple of coats of Zinsser sealcoat. I got minor but consistent orange peel over the entire top after shooting each coat. After the final coat I sanded the entire top with 320 with a sanding pad and removed most of it, and will finish with a coat of paste wax, but I'd like to avoid the orange peel effect next time.

I shot the finish with a purple HF HVLP gun which usually gives pretty good results, in a heated, well ventilated shop. Temps were in the high 60s, and the relative humidity is very low. The finish wasn't thinned.

Spraying it unthinned at low RH will do that. You need to thin it probably at least 8% for that gun, maybe more
    to get the viscosity down to around 25 - 30 seconds for that 1.4 mm N/N.
    Alternatively, or maybe additionally, definitely add 3 - 5% of GF's Extender. It will let it flow out.

Keep your coats thin and let the Extender do it's job. Also, 6 coats seems like 2 or 3 more than you should need. If I've had any tendency for orange peel it always seems to get worse the more coats I spray unless I sand it back flat at some point.

Good luck.

John

Thanks, John. I thought the viscosity might be a problem. Would Flotrol work instead of the GF extender?

No idea Dave; you're on your own. Isn't Flotrol milky? If so, I don't think I'd put it in a clear topcoat.

John

Flotrol is really designated for latex paints, etc. I wouldn't use it with clear coats for the reason that John mentions. The GF extender isn't expensive and a little goes a long way with many finishes.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

OK, I wasn't sure, and have some WB Flotrol on the shelf. I'll order a bottle of the Extender.