Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miter saw Vac - Fein vs Festool

Miter saw Vac - Fein vs Festool

Looking to add a hepa vac that will be dedicated to my new Makita LS1019L miter saw setup. I just bought a Festool CT26 with boom arm and sander for my dedicated sanding station, and wonder if the Fein would work just as well for the miter saw. Benefit to a second CT26 would be sharing a box of bags, but otherwise how would the Fein Turbo II Hepa vac compare to the CT26? It’s a lot cheaper so that’s why I’m curious. Thanks.

We have a problem with dust sneaking past the Fein filters and caking on the fan blades. I've taken it apart multiple times and it just keeps happening. It's been related to house keeping duty. My Festool vacs have never had an issue in over a decade. Well, I did have to do the worn out plug repair.

Greg, couple of questions:

Do you want to plug the saw into the vac ?
    -or-
    are you going to plug it into a separate dedicated circuit ? That saw is 15a if I recall. Most vacs draw 10a +/- at full bore.

Do you really need HEPA filtration ? The saw is going to fling a bit of uncaptured dust , negating the finer HEPA rating anyway.

Does the vac need to live under the saw ? How much room (height) do you have under there ?

Do you have or plan on getting a 36mm or 50mm diameter hose for the miter vac ?

Lots of cheaper vacs out there with the same or more suction as a CT26. But they may or may not fit your needs.

I wanted to plug it in to have triggered dust collection. Hadn’t really thought about it since people tend to plug the kapex into them.

Doesnt have ave to be hepa but want to collect as much fine airborne dust as possible. Also want it to be quiet like my current CT26.

Would order a 36mm hose to go with a CT26 if I went that way.

Yes, it would need to live under the miter stand. Will have to measure.

Hmmm , now I see what you mean. The manual says 12A total and max of 3.7A on connected tool. That doesn’t seem like much so I wonder how others are handling this?

Maybe I need to just add a light weight hood and tap into a line from the Oneida cyclone. That’s probably a better route and cheaper than a second festool extractor.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 01-11-2019 at 10:56 PM.

I have dedicated a older model Fein II to do dust pickup from a Kapex saw.The saw is plugged into the vac and
    I have never noticed any power problems with the saw. I use generic bags w/o any problems.

That helps narrow it down Greg.

People do plug their Kapex into the CT’s and they work. Sort of. A lot of guys report their Kapex blowing motors and conventional wisdom has it that they aren’t getting enough juice. FestOol has been mum on the subject for years. The vac is using electronic trickery to allow a large saw to work when connected. The max. juice allowed through the vac for a tool is 9a +/-. And that’s on the lowest suction setting. Conv. Wisdom also recommends plugging Kapex up to a separate 20a circuit from the vac to allow enough current to reach the saw. This of course negates the tool trigger. But , for a few dolllars more you can buy a remote control that can be integrated into the CT’s. This allows any high draw tool to be adequately powered and still have a reasonable on off option at the tool.

Makita’s own 12gal vac is a bit of a gem as far as price / performance is concerned. $200+ less than a festool and it comes with a lot of accessories. Which you don’t need for the saw station. It is a lot taller than most vacs , so it might not fit under your station. And it’s connected tool rating is only 5a.

Nilfisk makes 26l vac for under 300 bucks with good suction too. Comes with accessories , but HEPA is $100 more if required. Tool. socket won’t support a 15a saw, and it’s taller than a CT. So..........

I think your correct that the the absolute best collection is by using the cyclone with a capture hood and a 36mm sucTion hose connected in tandem. But , that gets problematic if you just make a lot of onesy, twosy cuts every couple of minutes. Big inductions motors don’t like to be cycled on and off frequently. They also take a while to spool up and deliver suction at the tool. And it’s a lot louder than a vacuum.

Greg,

I have a CT22 w/boom arm and a Fein Turbo attached to my Bosch Gluider. It has worked with no problems at all. I can't tell any difference between the performance of the Fein and CT and the Fein is quite a bit cheaper. My Bosch is plugged into an iSocket Auto Switch $43.99 at Woodcraft 15a rated.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    Looking to add a hepa vac that will be dedicated to my new Makita LS1019L miter saw setup. I just bought a Festool CT26 with boom arm and sander for my dedicated sanding station, and wonder if the Fein would work just as well for the miter saw. Benefit to a second CT26 would be sharing a box of bags, but otherwise how would the Fein Turbo II Hepa vac compare to the CT26? It’s a lot cheaper so that’s why I’m curious. Thanks.

Have you used the new miter saw enough to comment on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    Have you used the new miter saw enough to comment on it?
    Havent used it at all. Got it last weekend. Was gone all this past week. And just working to get it setup on the new stand today, but I’m feeling under the weather and moving slow.

I will say that this Makita is huge compared to other saws. The base is very large and as such I had to move the wood mounts to one of the offset positions to get the saw far enough back to have enough adjustment in the blocks to get the wings to line up with the fence. This causes the stand to have more weight to the rear of the stand which you can feel and I’m sure will require extra care when folding and moving the stand so I don’t let it fall over backwards. For usage, I’m going to put some sort of counterweight on the front of the stand. Just a little weight on each front leg will take any worry out of the slight off balance feel during use.

I need to finish dialing in the alignment to get everything calibrated, and I need to get a right angle adapter for the dust connection as the port points straight back or down at a 45. Either way the hose hits the wall behind it and puts stress on the plastic fittings. A 45 or 90 adapter would be better.

Ill share more more once I give it some use today or tomorrow.

p2152259496-4.jpg

p2152259930-4.jpg

p2152260075-4.jpg

p2152260135-4.jpg

Buy a $65 vacuum, a $56 dust deputy, an extra hose and 5 gallon bucket with lid and then send me the other $350 you would have wasted on a hepa vacuum for a shop.

I've been using that system for almost 3 years and that cheap vacuum is still going. I'm on the original filter and have had to clean it 4 times of the ".1%" fine dust that gets through.

Your welcome.
    -Lud

So I picked up a new hose for my 4 gal ridgid to use with my floor brush and other cleaning tools and then took the cheap original plastic hose that kept kinking in use and cut it to length for the miter. I will just unplug at the vacuum and plug the new hose in for cleaning. No real extra cost as I planned to replace the hose anyway so we will see how this works.

One thing to note on this saw is that the vac connection spot is very tight to work with. I found that by removing the cord clip next to the vac hose and moving it to the next screw higher gets the cord out of the way and helps with clearance around the vac port.

p2158106591-4.jpg

p2158106990-4.jpg

p2158107078-4.jpg

p2158106635-4.jpg

p2158106850-4.jpg

This is is the dust after 6 multi angle test cuts on a 1x6 pine board. Not all captured but not terrible given the lack of dust hood behind the saw. The floor and surrounding area didn’t appear to have much on it but it’s hard to say on the concrete shop floor. Regardless I don’t think it sprayed chips everywhere. I may look to improve this with a hood over time. A hood combined with the vac port would probably solve any issues. Not sure how a kapex would compare to this saw though as I’ve never used a kapex.
    p2158107285-4.jpg

Still ill playing with getting this setup but right off the bat one issue I have with this fence/stand is that the saw can’t rotate to the full 60 degrees without spacing the wing further away or considering cutting it.
    p2158106653-4.jpg

Overall, I’m pleased with the saw. I still need to dial in the calibration on the blade, fence, miter scale but will need to also tackle the stands wings as well. Once I get them situated and the saw dialed in I think it will be a great tool even if I only use it for initial material breakdown most the time. It is my first sliding miter saw and time and use will tell if it was worth the premium over a basic chopper.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 01-13-2019 at 4:21 PM.

Greg,
    im curious if you’ve refined your setup since these posts? I have same saw and also have it connected to shop vac. I’d planned to get one of the smart outlet/switches for vac initiation but the saw drawing 15amps makes it a no-go.
    I saw a pic of someone’s setup in which they split the dust vac intake hose at the vac and had 2 hoses clamped directly to the saw - apparently that gave them better collection than the Makita connecting hose.

Vac

We have 3 festool vacs and two fein vacs in our shop, mostly relegated to sanders with occasional use on the track saws and domino. I prefer the Fein to the Festool from a cost and performance basis. I've not had a problem with any of the Fein's and I like the feature that they stay on for a few seconds after you turn the tool off to clear the line.

I had one issue with a Festool that required sending it back in twice to have it looked at. They ended up replacing the motor I believe after about a year of service and the second time was some anomaly that self resolved. The suction was bad even after a tear down and cleaning. Festool couldn't find anything wrong with it and it seemed to work when they shipped it back. This was the larger model, I believe a CT36. The flip side of this I have a CT-Mini that has been a work horse, been abused, and still going strong after about 12 years or so.

My real complaint with Festool is the cost vs. Fein and their receptacle/electrical connections. I've had to replace the receptacles on all of the festools as they wore out. That seems to be my biggest gripe both with the receptacles on the vac's as well as the connections to the sanders for the cord which seem to wear out frequently.

In either case I think you would be happy.

We have a few Fein Turbo 2’s at work used mostly for sanders. I might talk the boss into ordering a CT Midi or CT Mini soon. Do they make a boom arm for the CT Midi or CT Mini?