I was making a small handle for a cheese knife and happened across a piece of curly yellow birch in the wood pile so I figured I would use it. This is the first time that I've tried turning anything like it. Is there any secrets or tips to turning it? Almost everything I tried would leave the turning not smooth. The figure in the wood was raised. I tried taking a picture but it was too hard to see.

When I tried my skew it would work ok but on two occasions it pulled a chunk of the wood out, not like it caught an edge it just came out. That could of been due to unseen checking in the wood. Since it was in the wood pile it was't properly dried for turning. I tried turning at all different speeds. In the end I was able to get it smooth by using my Ellsworth grind bowl gouge using one of the wings a lot further up than I've ever had to. By using the bevel I was able to take the thinnest of shavings and it worked. Is there a better technique? This piece of wood didn't look like it was close to the stump so maybe the whole tree was naturally curly. I'm trying to focus on using the lathe tools over sanding to finish projects. I don't know if it makes a difference but I turned it at a slight angle so the curl shows up at an angle on the handle.

I'm at work but if needed I can take a couple pics tonight. I often encounter maple (usually red but sometimes sugar) that's curly so I'd like to learn more.