Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone buy walnut logs lately?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Heath View Post
    I envy you guys and your sources for logs. Around here, I am having a hard time sourcing logs of any species on a consistent basis. The local hardwood supplier has 12/4 walnut slabs in his showroom that are dried and about average at best for quality, and they are selling for $1700 to $2200 apiece. I was there last week, just checking his pricing, and 75% of the large volume of slabs he had in his showroom were marked "SOLD."

If I could source walnut or cherry logs like that for $50 or $100 apiece, I would buy every single one of them. I'm not kidding. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a vacuum kiln to dry slabs in approx. 2 weeks, depending on species, but I want to make sure I can keep it fed first.
    A long drive and night in Holiday Inn Express might be worth it?
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    Yup, the thicker, the pricier.

Wonder what these would sell for?

Pretty much whatever you ask.
    Those are impressive!
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Rob, those are BIG logs!!! I'm impressed. Thanks
    Jerry

Stood upright those would make wall art. It would be a shame to cut them up.

I can't speak for the person who bought them, but I seriously doubt they were going to get cut up. Nobody in their right mind pays a premium for HUGE slabs like that, and then cuts them up into smaller pieces for a build. At least, none of the people who buy from me do that, that I know of.
    Jeff

I am getting $1.10 per BdFt on stump price for black walnut. I have nothing big. maybe 28 inches tops. I am getting just over that for two black oak trees. I did not know that some oak are a premium like that. Most oak is only running around 60 cent a bd ft. They are even giving 90 cents for black tupelo, that every one tells me is a trash tree. That one is a big tree, perhaps 34 inches chest high.

Wow! I am constantly seeking a reliable logger in the Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri areas for the purchase of walnut logs to supply our Texas Urban Sawmill with walnut logs. Really hard to find good quality walnut logs in Texas. We focus on salvaging of dead and fallen trees, but I only see a walnut 1-2 a year when we are out on salvage jobs.

The going rate down in these parts is $2-3 BF for a log. I pay $2.50 BF from my main guy, who logs full-time in MO and OK. I know guys paying $4-5 BF for really larger logs and have seen others paying even more. If anyone has 30"+ diameter walnut logs for under $2.50 BF, anywhere in the southern US (I will usually drive up to 14 hours from Austin Texas), please let me know. I'll pick up and transport 20,000 lbs of walnut every few months!!

On the flip side, I do know guys in Kansas getting urban logs for free essentially. So it really depends on the availability in your region and size & log quality. All over the map.
    Devin Ginther
    Dripping Springs, TX 78620
    Refined Elements LLC, Owner
    TX Urban Sawmill LLC, Owner