Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone buy walnut logs lately?

Anyone buy walnut logs lately?

I found 18 walnut logs for sale. Logs are about 24" diameter, 9 feet long. If anyone has bought walnut logs, can you let me know how much you paid? These logs are located in South West Virginia.

I don't get my logs from loggers but from tree services. An average (for me, which is probably a blow down, killed by disease, or yard tree - character, not commodity) walnut log that size brings $100 delivered (.50 p/bf). KC Metro area.

Thanks Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bukovec View Post
    I found 18 walnut logs for sale. Logs are about 24" diameter, 9 feet long. If anyone has bought walnut logs, can you let me know how much you paid? These logs are located in South West Virginia.
    Remember there are restrictions on moving logs (and firewood) these days due to the disease and parasites. Best check to see if you are in a restricted area. I think you can move them freely within a given restricted area.

If you want to research, you might call small sawmills in your area and ask what they will pay for them. The woodfinder.com might list some or contact Woodmizer for a list of people who signed up for their listing.

JKJ
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 01-13-2019 at 7:18 AM. Reason: spelling

That size log may be VENEER size and brings a premium price... think about buying them, then reselling for veneer..

I'm having a tough time keeping up with walnut logs given to me lately.
    The mills don't want yard logs because of metal. At $20.00 per band blade I could care less if I hit metal. Just one slab of walnut will pay for a messed up blade.

The logs were sold for $50.00 each. The buyer said he wants a bowl or two turned from one log that looks like it has highly figured grain. I will try to buy a log or two from him as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Beitz View Post
    I'm having a tough time keeping up with walnut logs given to me lately.
    The mills don't want yard logs because of metal. At $20.00 per band blade I could care less if I hit metal. Just one slab of walnut will pay for a messed up blade.
    This is my experience with urban logs. Normally the arborist will drop them off for free instead of paying to dispose of them.

I use a metal detector, however as Kevin indicated, the cost of a damaged small mill blade is insignificant compared to the value of the wood obtained.........Rod.

Although I agree that the cost of a blade may be insignificant to the value of the lumber you get out of a metal-infested log, sometimes the quantity of useable lumber drops due to the stains ruining the planks.
    20170211 03.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

I envy you guys and your sources for logs. Around here, I am having a hard time sourcing logs of any species on a consistent basis. The local hardwood supplier has 12/4 walnut slabs in his showroom that are dried and about average at best for quality, and they are selling for $1700 to $2200 apiece. I was there last week, just checking his pricing, and 75% of the large volume of slabs he had in his showroom were marked "SOLD."

If I could source walnut or cherry logs like that for $50 or $100 apiece, I would buy every single one of them. I'm not kidding. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a vacuum kiln to dry slabs in approx. 2 weeks, depending on species, but I want to make sure I can keep it fed first.
    Jeff

Yikes, we who live in free wood areas are so spoiled we forget what life is like for a lot of people. I've probably given away walnut slabs like those you described. One friend drove from the western US and when she left the bed of her station wagon was down on the axles. I still have some 8/4 and larger in walnut, cherry, and cedar but I'm slowly cutting them up into smaller pieces for woodturning.

I used to get logs from tree services and the country road service but once they found out I would take them I started getting too many and had to cry uncle. The tree services here will normally cut them into small enough pieces to throw into the dump truck but would call me when they had a good log and I'd bring a big trailer.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Heath View Post
    I envy you guys and your sources for logs. Around here, I am having a hard time sourcing logs of any species on a consistent basis. The local hardwood supplier has 12/4 walnut slabs in his showroom that are dried and about average at best for quality, and they are selling for $1700 to $2200 apiece. I was there last week, just checking his pricing, and 75% of the large volume of slabs he had in his showroom were marked "SOLD."

If I could source walnut or cherry logs like that for $50 or $100 apiece, I would buy every single one of them. I'm not kidding. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a vacuum kiln to dry slabs in approx. 2 weeks, depending on species, but I want to make sure I can keep it fed first.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Heath View Post

Wow. I have 6-8 5/4 slabs of matched black walnut in my basement. They're all from the same trunk, all over 6' long, and the top third or more is all void free crotch wood. I guess I need to think about selling.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    Wow. I have 6-8 5/4 slabs of matched black walnut in my basement. They're all from the same trunk, all over 6' long, and the top third or more is all void free crotch wood. I guess I need to think about selling.
    Don't know about your area, but around here dried 12/4 is pretty expensive, 5/4 not so much. The figured, of course, is more.

Yup, the thicker, the pricier.

Wonder what these would sell for?

Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Those are some big boards. Would like to see the mill that cut them. And how could you dry those monsters that would keep them from cracking?