Thread: Stanley No 5C type 11 are these parts correct?

Question Stanley No 5C type 11 are these parts correct?

I recently purchased a Stanley hand plane from an antique store. I did a reasonable amount of research online to see what I was looking for before I ventured out.

I ended up buying a No 5C type 11 according to what I have read. I was fairly confident with the selection at the time, however once I got it home I started to notice somethings that seemed off.

I am posting all the pictures I took and asking for any input on what might not be correct, here are my assumptions:

I don't believe the iron stamped Lakeside is original (unless maybe it was Monkey Wards), the lever cap appears to be from a different time frame also. I am not sure about the knob height since it is the tall knob but the body and the frog base suggest to me it should be the shorter knob.

My guess is this is a model from 1910-1918, but I do not feel that all the pieces match the model or the dates.

Here are a few other details that might help.

The adjustment knob is the smaller 1 inch brass knob.
    The frog does not appear to have any markings at all, still needs a bit of cleaning, but there is nothing I can find.
    The side to side adjustment lever currently does not appear to have markings on it, but it is the two piece type not the bent over metal in some other models.

All in all I'm looking to clean it up and use it for myself, but I would love to know just how original everything is

I hope the pictures help, and help me understand if this was a good purchase. I will with hold the price I paid until all the beatings are complete, LOL.

IMG_3243.jpgIMG_3261.jpgIMG_3245.jpgIMG_3244.jpgIMG_3249.jpgIMG_3251.jpgIMG_3247.jpgIMG_3259.jpg

Excepting the blade and lever cap, looks like a solid type 11 to me. Is the front knob the low variety?

It's not Pete, its the tall knob, which was making me think it may have been replaced. From what I have found it seems like the taller knob was introduced in 1920, but the other markings on the base suggest this is 1918 or earlier. I could be wrong on the knob there is so much information out there.

Paul,

The folks in the Stanley plant didn't realize that they would be held to account about these modern type studies when they made their planes. My suspicion is that the 5C was not a plane that they made a lot of, and they had the plane bodies cast from type 11 production sitting in the plant, and when they got an order they used the lever cap and knob that was current production with the rest of their planes. Anything is possible, but, seems far fetched that someone would replace the knob, cap iron, etc. If it has a lakeside blade, that clearly is not original.

Blog Entries
    Some type 11 planes came with the tall knob before Stanley Rule & Level merged with Stanley Works.

Type 12 was the first of the 'SWeet Heart' period.

Here is a good type study with lots of images:

http://www.rexmill.com/planes101/typing/typing.htm

There is a lot of other good information on the site.

Paul, If you clean off the lateral lever you will likely see STANLEY stamped into it.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Paul, it looks pretty correct to me as well, except for the iron. Here’s a few pics of my Type 11 5C. The iron/chip breaker is of course a replacement Veritas. The iron that came with mine was toast. As Jim said, I suspect after a cleaning you will find Stanley on the adjuster.

I’m with Pete on the front knob.

425D8436-1B7A-454C-9E8D-5AED79C1138C.jpg B607524E-A153-4296-9C8D-BB4019AF6C6B.jpg 4FE2BDC1-39ED-45DE-91BD-4474B75161C9.jpg

Thanks for all the information guys. I paid $40 for it even though that seems a bit much I’m just getting started and having a tool that’s right around 100 years old is just amazing. I can only wonder what it has made and where it has been. I also just picked up a 5 1/2 looks like early 30s for $20 in great shape.

Blog Entries
    I also just picked up a 5 1/2 looks like early 30s for $20 in great shape.
    $40 for a good #5 isn't too bad. $20 for a #5-1/2 is an downright gloat worthy event!

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 01-13-2019 at 7:59 PM. Reason: word change
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    $40 of a good #5 isn't too bad. $20 for a #5-1/2 is an downright gloat worthy event!

jtk
    I'd agree but without pics did it really happen?

Paul, I think you did good. Look, I know folks have luck finding planes for $30 or less (as you have). But, I just spent about a month putting in bids for type 11 #4s and everything under $35 was out bid. Sure, you get lucky at an estate or garage sale, but it isn’t like there are hundreds of these things around for cheap. I tend to look at it vs new. A new #4 is going to be north of $200. So even if I pay $100 for a vintage #4 in good shape, I’ve saved at least 50%. And I have one now.

Oh it happened Mike, I was very shocked. I am feeling much better now on the prices I paid, seems like most of you think I got a better price than I thought. I bought both from antique stores. The 5C was marked at $49 I talked him down to $40. The 5 1/2 the lady had $35 marked on it and when I offered $20 cash she didn't hesitate, amazing how flexible people are when they don't know what to charge.

Also I included some pics of the 5 1/2.IMG_3273.jpgIMG_3272.jpgIMG_3274.jpgIMG_3275.jpgIMG_3276.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

I believed you Paul. We just like pics here! You've done well.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Paul, I think you did good. Look, I know folks have luck finding planes for $30 or less (as you have). But, I just spent about a month putting in bids for type 11 #4s and everything under $35 was out bid. Sure, you get lucky at an estate or garage sale, but it isn’t like there are hundreds of these things around for cheap. I tend to look at it vs new. A new #4 is going to be north of $200. So even if I pay $100 for a vintage #4 in good shape, I’ve saved at least 50%. And I have one now.
    It must be partly regional. I don't see anything near decent at low prices in my area.
    Rusty, hope you get lucky stuff is at least $45 + here.

Also, I'm day drunk on Irish whiskey. So....

Blog Entries
    I also just picked up a 5 1/2 looks like early 30s for $20 in great shape.
    It looks like a type 19 with the Stanley stamped on the lateral lever having vertical lettering.

The blade may be left over from type 18 stock since it doesn't have the curved top. That would make it early in the type 19 which started in ~1948.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 01-13-2019 at 7:59 PM. Reason: The blade may...