Thread: Nova live center cup

Nova live center cup

I also use the Nova live center a lot. The hollow cup center with a point is my favorite, but the point fell out and I can't find it. I tried calling Nova for a replacement tip but they say they are out of stock, with no availability date . Does anyone know if there are other pointed tips that will fit the Nova?

Mike, a One-Way tip should work, they're pretty much the same thing.

Len

Quote Originally Posted by Len Mullin View Post
    Mike, a One-Way tip should work, they're pretty much the same thing.

Len
    I can check that tomorrow but I think when I looked not long ago ago I found they are different tapers. If my memory is right (iffy at best!) the Oneway is a #0 morse taper and the Nova looked like a #1MT. I also have two other live centers, different brands, that have removable points - I can check if one of those will fit.

A machinist with a metal lathe could easily make one, but I have no idea what they would charge. A hobby machinist might do it for fun.

John K, if you can check those other centers I would appreciate it

The Nova sure appears to be #2MT. The machining on my Nova points are rough but they will hold in the lathe spindle taper.

Update...….
    I forgot I had the Nova with small removable tip. The Oneway tip fits the Nova but it has a 2.5 times longer taper and extends back further in the female taper than the Nova does, but doesn't appear to be a problem. The pointed protrusion is approximately the same for both. Should work as a replacement. I would guess that they are #0MT. I've had the Oneway about 3 years and the Nova for more than 5 years and don't know if any changes have been made since then.
    Last edited by Joe Kaufman; 01-11-2019 at 12:03 PM.