Thread: TV Tray Rack

TV Tray Rack

Quick little weekend project I did over the Christmas break. We have a set of cheap TV trays my wife bought forever ago. I replaced the tops 5 or 6 years ago with mahogany (a huge improvement from painted MDF), and a few weeks ago the rack that the tables nest on broke. It was cheap - I'm shocked it lasted so long.
    busted.jpg

Didn't take too many pics, but I'll share what I have. Lumber is white ash (mostly rift grain) and was milled with machinery. With the exception of a bandsaw to rough out the curves, everything else was done with hand tools.

foot_1.jpg foot_2.jpg legs_1.jpg legs_2.jpg
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---

Rest of the pics:

tenon_cut.jpg
    (mainly just to show off this beautiful tenon saw )

dry_fit.jpg
    loaded.jpg show.jpg

Haven't put any finish on it yet, will most likely use Waterlox urethane cut down into a wiping varnish. Leaves a beautiful satiny finish with a sprayed look. Thanks for looking!

Well done Brian. Those cheap TV trays are so useful but not the prettiest. Your mahogany tops & new rack make them fashionable - perhaps a new product line? Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    Well done Brian. Those cheap TV trays are so useful but not the prettiest. Your mahogany tops & new rack make them fashionable - perhaps a new product line? Mark
    Thanks Mark. If it were to become a new product line, the hand tools would have to be put away. I'd be writing CNC programs to cut all the joinery, and making templates to reproduce the curves on a shaper. Otherwise they'd be so expensive no one would buy them LOL

Quote Originally Posted by brian zawatsky View Post
    Thanks Mark. If it were to become a new product line, the hand tools would have to be put away. I'd be writing CNC programs to cut all the joinery, and making templates to reproduce the curves on a shaper. Otherwise they'd be so expensive no one would buy them LOL
    True Brian.

Years ago I made my own trays. I did not like anything on the market...
    Attached Images Attached Images