Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quickly finding parts (Worm Drive) for older Jet JWP-15. In a pinch...

Should be easy enough to press off the old gear and press the gear onto a new shaft.
    Bill D.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Should be easy enough to press off the old gear and press the gear onto a new shaft.
    Bill D.
    I was thinking the same thing. Too bad the worm drive shaft that broke appears to be machined as a single piece (although, I have not pulled apart the planer to confirm) according to all the exploded parts diagrams I have seen. But, if the grizzly shaft and worm drive fit, but the threads don’t match, hopefully the gear swap out will be straight forward. Parts should be here Tuesday. I’ll be sure to post an update about how it goes.

Thanks again for everyone’s input!

UPDATE, the Grizzly worm shaft fit my older Jet planer perfectly.
    For anyone who may run across this in the future, the worm shaft, worm shaft bearing, and internal retaining ring are all compatable between my older Jet JWP-15HO and the current Grizzly G1021Z and G1021X2 .

It’s also noted, the mating worm gear that mounts on the vertical shaft with the chain sprocket is NOT compatable between the older Jet and the current grizzly. The Grizzly gear is almost twice the diameter of the Jet gear and the shaft is significantly larger in the newer Grizzly planers. There is not enough room to mount the Grizzly gear inside the Jet worm drive housing (casting) even if a bushing were made to allow the Grizzly part to fit appropriately on the Jet shaft.

Fortunately for me, there was no damage to the original Jet worm drive gear and the threads line up perfectly between the new Grizzly worm drive shaft and the old Jet worm drive gear.

Looks like I’m back in business!

Thanks to everyone who contributed!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images