Thread: Router Bits.

Router Bits.

Hello all. I have the opportunity to purchase a bunch of Freud router bits from a retired cabinet maker. They are for the most part 1/2" shank bits. I started to call around anticipating that I would have to sharpen these once purchased and the proshop that I talked to said they provide Kempston Bits to all thier cabinet makers. And a brand new Kempston bit is still cheaper than what this guy wants to sell me his Freud bits at $30 each. Any thoughts? I wonder how much I should offer him for all even though I likely don't need many of them. Does anybody have experience with Kempston bits? Thoughts and Comments?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sounds like you are a home shop guy.

If so, may make more sense to just buy what you need when you need it. Paying for a lot of bits that you may never need may not be the best use of your funds.

If you can get a killer deal, that is one thing...but...does not sound like that is the case here.

Bill
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Hmmmm,,, No!
    You should compare the bits in that picture to what is available on Amazon. I think you'll find that brand new from Amazon, in the sets, is a much cheaper alternative than $30.00 each. They also haven't been rolling around in a drawer.
    They're nice bits, but in sets, they work out to < $20.00 each for most of them in that picture.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Thirty bucks for a used router bit? That probably needs sharpening? That's been used to cut who knows what?

Nope.

Blog Entries
    In my opinion based on the way those 1/2" shank bits are stored loose in a box, they aren't worth $30 each. The 1/4" bits are stored so that the cutting edges don' come in contact with each other. Typically Freud Ogee and edge profiling bits run $40-65 new from Router Bit World, so used bits should run $20-30 each if they are in good shape. If they need sharpened, they would be worth less than $20 each.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I wouldn’t pay more than $5 a shank if I was buying the whole lot. You’d be doing him a huge favor taking them all as one lot. Decent sharpening services here in the states charge between $4 & $10 or so each for sharpening and you’d be doing good to sell the surplus for $20 each fresh from a sharpener and still in the wax. Unless you enjoy the challenge of being a flipper, you’re probably better off just buying what you need new.

http://dynamicsaw.com/router-bits.html
    Last edited by John Lanciani; 01-10-2019 at 6:59 PM.

What kind of idiot throws loose router bits in a drawer like that?

If that's any indication how he took care of them - or any of his other tools for that matter, I'd pass on anything he's trying to unload.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Carbide profiles are brittle and any nicks in the edges may telegraph on to your project.

Also, the price is absurd. John L. above is right, 5 bucks a bit would be ok if the profiles are in good condition.