Thread: Urn boxes for the cats

Urn boxes for the cats

We have three cats who departed us over the last several years and a while back, my wife asked if I could make urn boxes for them to replace the tins provided by the cremation service. The project was then delayed by making a box for a friend’s dog and then one for our own dog. I recently bought the Incra iBox jig I’d been eyeballing for a while and decided to put it to use on these boxes.

Rather than inter the ashes through the bottom, as with the previous boxes, I decided to fit these with sliding lids. Each has a contrasting lid of different wood species: canary, zebra, and leopard wood. The top finger joint slots at the rear of the boxes received an insert to match the lid. I think I’ll keep the finish simple: a couple of coats of thinned seal coat, followed by paste wax.

A9053F2E-9501-4E43-AC3A-5AA6146DA40D.jpg 88BF0BEC-CFD6-4912-9837-04651D60E353.jpg
    B2094FC4-69F5-4AE0-8E44-C51134E57703.jpg 00EA3919-6663-42B5-B97D-2253CD576965.jpg
    93F6FAA4-58CD-4A75-B3C5-A33AEE16510F.jpg
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Nice boxes. Was the iBox jig as good as you hoped it would be?

Those are really beautiful!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thank you both.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    Was the iBox jig as good as you hoped it would be?
    Every bit as good. After some test cuts, I achieved perfectly fitted joints. However, with it's all metal construction, I was a bit nervous running it on my SawStop. During setup, I checked clearances several times. I should have check once more. I mis-adjusted a material support and barely nicked it on the next pass, tripping the brake on a new Forrest finger joint blade set. Several minutes of therapeutic cursing ensued. I'll be sending the blades in for repair. At that cost, it's a mistake I won't make again for lack of checking.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Did one for a friend for their little dog...
    IMG_2162.jpgIMG_2163.jpg

Cherry with some walnut trim. Top comes off to be glued on later.
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

Really pretty stuff there. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Luna View Post
    Thank you both.

Every bit as good. After some test cuts, I achieved perfectly fitted joints. However, with it's all metal construction, I was a bit nervous running it on my SawStop. During setup, I checked clearances several times. I should have check once more. I mis-adjusted a material support and barely nicked it on the next pass, tripping the brake on a new Forrest finger joint blade set. Several minutes of therapeutic cursing ensued. I'll be sending the blades in for repair. At that cost, it's a mistake I won't make again for lack of checking.
    Very nice, Brett. I've been using the I-box for a while now, but only with the router table so far. Probably a little slower than the table saw, but still excellent results. I've been thinking about switching it over to my SawStop, but have been reluctant because of just what happened to you. Anyway, I really like how you incorporated those lids.

Verry nice.

Simple but elegant.