Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tools From Japan Store Closing

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    Bridge City Tool Works' owner had a similar encounter recently with one of his customers who grew impatient with John's explanations of an order delay. After a testy exchange to the point that John said an order cancellation was a proper thing to do, he quickly apologized the next day. John took the high road.

Both a seller and a customer have the right to stop doing business with each other. But once an order is placed and accepted, the onus to deliver is on the seller. Yes, a seller can 'fire' any of his or her customers, but before that is done, the customers can not be faulted.

Most of you should still remember the sawmaker (no longer in business?) who kept taking orders but kept failing to meet his obligations. Many people gave him some slack but in the end, everyone realized no tool makers or businesses can rely on sympathy or empathy alone to survive.

Stu is no exception as a businessman, and chose to leave before his reputation was damaged.

Simon
    There is little doubt some members will make a special effort to insure that is never allowed to happen.
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 01-11-2019 at 6:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    Wenzloff it is.

When it comes to handling customer expectations, few can match LV. On those few occasions where my orders were back ordered and given estimated delivery dates, they always beat their estimates by a couple of weeks to a month or two! Communication is the key, and when delays are unbearable, be proactive and offer the customer the choice of order cancellation. Radio silence and ignoring customer emails is the #1 sin.

Simon
    I completely agree with both of the above except from a little bit different perspective: communication is key and Stu was always upfront in saying it would take a long time to respond. I can't really understand why people have been so critical of him when he was so forthwith in his description of leadtimes and response times.

It's not like he promised fast delivery, the very nature of the service he provided dictated that it would take time to fill orders (i.e. custom chisels, etc).

And comparing Stu to LV isn't really fair; they're two totally different business models.

I'm bummed Stu has decided to close shop and wish him well for whatever is next. And I admire his openness with his loss and struggles over the last year.

And, also.....after reading all that "Don't let the door...." attitudes, what makes them think any idiot would want to even do business here. So..people have driven two of the best Tools from Japan, either off this site, or out of business......so, where do you all intend to get your next tool from Japan? May have burned the last bridges for that....don't know what you got, until it is gone...as the song goes...

Good luck...doubt if anyone would ever again sell to some of the people here....doubt IF they would be dumb enough...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bartley View Post
    And comparing Stu to LV isn't really fair; they're two totally different business models.
    I wasn't comparing the two. I gave LV as an example of a vendor that I have had experience with that handles customer expectation well. I have not dealt with Stu before, and know nothing about how he did his business. I am not into Japanese tools whatsoever.

Simon

Looks like all the complainers got what they wanted.