Thread: Question about Stanley 5 1/4

Question about Stanley 5 1/4

Good Afternoon everyone!

I have a modest collection of Stanley planes that are users to me. It was mostly coincidence that the initial few planes I purchased were type 11s or earlier. However after having them and trying out older types, I found them to be much more pleasurable to use, and started seeking them out somewhat exclusively.

I've had a more difficult time finding a low-knob No. 5 1/4. Was the production of this model started after the type 11 era? I have a friend who will sell me a 5 1/4 at a pretty good price that is a type 16

Thanks!

Mike

5¼ production started in 1921 -- not coincidentally at a time when "manual training" of high school students was introduced to the curriculum.
    Last edited by Joe Bailey; 01-10-2019 at 2:10 PM.

You want to get familiar with Patrick Leach's compendium for this kind of question: http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0a.html

Blog Entries
    If you want a #5-1/4 with a low knob you will need to buy a type 12 or 13 and replace the tall knob with a short one.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks for the information guys!

I should have done some more research and compared the dates of the introduction of the 5 1/4 to the type dates listen in the study Bill directed me to. I've been to that page a bunch, but didn't put two and two together.

I like the low knob planes, but not so much as to remove the original knob. I'll enjoy this one as is.

Thanks again!

Mike

Blog Entries
    Here is another good site for information on Stanley Planes:

http://www.rexmill.com/planes101/typing/typing.htm

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)