Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me select a cyclone (for the millionth time!)

Help me select a cyclone (for the millionth time!)

I've found numerous threads on cyclones, but haven't seen a recent one similar to my situation so I'm looking for some input.

We moved a few weeks ago and I have a new, bigger basement shop. It isn't huge by any means but I'm really looking forward to setting it up. I'm going from 300sf with 7' ceilings to 500sf with 105" to bottom of 2x10 joists (with a duct here and there to work around). As most of these threads go, I'd like to buy this cyclone with enough capacity to last me a long time through future machine upgrades.

Here are the machines I'd plan to duct to:
    18" planer (currently using a 15" planer, need to restore the 18")
    16" jointer (currently use a 12" but who knows, I might step up to a 16" one day)
    20" bandsaw
    Unisaw (overtable dust collection and cabinet)
    Shaper (3hp or less)
    DP
    RAS
    Edge Sander & Disc Sander & possibly OSS (planning to get an ES & DS)

I'd use snap lock ductwork, since I've installed a system already in another shop and know how to work with it and where to buy it.

The usual suspects are ClearVue, Oneida, Grizzly, Laguna, and Jet as far as I can tell. I found a number of discussions here and on other forums from 4-7 years ago but most of the models from each company have changed since then.

My budget is about $2000 for the cyclone, but of course cheaper the better since ductwork adds up. Ductwork cost not included in the $2k. I'm not going to research the heck out of this and study all the Pentz information, and I'm sure there are many on here that have already done so and can hopefully give me some sound advice.

Thanks in advance for any information and advice you can give me.

The CV-1800 is on sale right now and is at the top of your budget. An 18" planer can make a lot of chips as does a 16" jointer so you want powerful collection for them. That said you would still want lots of capacity to capture the fine dust that would otherwise get into the rest of the house. ​Up to you.

If you have a hard budget I would suggest considering PVC ducting over the admittedly great metal snap lock if it puts a better cyclone within the budget.

I would rule out the short cyclones off the back.

Since Oneida doesn't seem to make the V-5000 anymore the Clearvue would be far and away my choice at the near $2k price point, when they made the V-5000 it was the other option I would consider at ~2K. With the current sale I think the CV1800 is a no-brainer considering your machines.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. I didn’t notice that there weren’t many budget type cyclones around my price point and the CV stood out.

If I were to bump my budget up a bit, what would be the next step up recommendation? The CVMAX?

I would go with a 5 hp and 15" impeller from either ClearVue or Oneida. Both make great cyclones with enough power for your tools.

Anybody know how much the CV1800 sells for when not on sale?

Matt,

I've used anything but a ClearVue but for the last 9 years it's treated me really well. I wouldn't consider a short cone cyclone, my experience says that Pentz really nailed the geometry of the cone.

I would also say that unless your runs are really long or you'll be running multiple machines at once the cv1800 will be fine. The cvMax uses an 8" inlet so on the pick up side of things you'd need to make sure there were enough gates open to keep the airspeed up in the 8" main.

I how long a run would warrant the cvMax? I'm in the midst of reconfiguring my cyclone system and have wondered if I'm pushing the limits of a 15" impeller.

Just to be clear, a "short cyclone" would be one of those roll around ones from Jet/Laguna? A "tall cyclone" would be a mounted in place one, over 7' right?

Blog Entries
    I'm going to say "yes". They are visually pretty obvious when viewed side by side. I am glad that the short cone choices are out there for folks who could not otherwise fit a cyclone due to headroom restrictions. If you have the headroom I would not make the compromise.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Anybody know how much the CV1800 sells for when not on sale?
    Relying on memory about 10% to 15% more. Why not send them an email and Cathy will get back to you with the non sale price and how much longer the sale is on?

Of what you listed, I'd only consider Oneida (what I own) or Clearvue. I'd never buy a short-cone cyclone as they are less efficient at separation. I'm not familiar enough with the Grizzly offerings to provide an opinion on them, but if you can get actual fan curves, they can then be compared to the Oneida and Clearvue offers in a more meaningful way. Because of the "bite" your milling machines have, I'd suggest going larger if you can.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The main thing the G0441 has against it is the small filter area size. I saw some reviewers would replace them with Wynn, but then you’re in CV price range.

Matt, the primary thing that I find "comforting" with Oneida and ClearVue is that they are "dedicated" to dust collection; the former with a very, very long term experience in the business and the latter now with sufficient time to make them feel competent. Dust collection has so many nuances and is probably the most important non-human tool in the shop. I just don't feel that the tool mass marketers really do it as much justice as a specialty company can and do. A lot of the tool brands added DC because it was a natural extension of their product offerings because of increased emphasis on cleaning the air, but a lot of the product is the same or nearly the same stuff with different paint and labels.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I got the Clear Vue MAX. It was cheaper at the time to not get the bundle and purchase the same parts by themselves. I then had a coupon for 10% off i think. Currently on clear Vue's Facebook page is a 5% off code. CVCFAN

Jim: I appreciate the insight.
    Matthew: thanks for the code!