Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sources for 3-phase extension cords

Sources for 3-phase extension cords

I'm having a hard time finding online vendors to purchase a few extension cords for my 3-phase Felder machines that will be arriving later this month.

The planer will draw 30 amps, so I was thinking I'll need NEMA 11-50 plug and jack on that, and the bandsaw and jointer are only 20 amps, so NEMA 11-30 on those.

I can't find anyone online that sells them. Will I have to buy bulk cable, plugs, and make my own? If so, what cable size is required for that much current?

Thanks.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Have you considered making your own?

I bought four conductor 10 gage flexible cord at a Big Box Store and made what I needed for my 5 HP table saw and 3 HP jointer. Granted, my equipment is single phase but with four conductors three phase would not be an issue either.

Bill
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Signal and Power delivery systems makes three phase cords at least up to 30 amps, not sure about larger ones...

https://www.signalandpower.com/NEMA-...SAAEgKjs_D_BwE

Their small quantity distributor is StayOnline.com, and they (stayonline.com) will also make you custom cords.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    I'm having a hard time finding online vendors to purchase a few extension cords for my 3-phase Felder machines that will be arriving later this month.

The planer will draw 30 amps, so I was thinking I'll need NEMA 11-50 plug and jack on that, and the bandsaw and jointer are only 20 amps, so NEMA 11-30 on those.

I can't find anyone online that sells them. Will I have to buy bulk cable, plugs, and make my own? If so, what cable size is required for that much current?

Thanks.
    I just make my own. You can often get the cabling you need cheap as the dregs of a roll from a supplier. It's the ends that are expensive. Get twist lock.

Most people who have 3 phase machines are knowledgeable enough to slap together their own, which is why you are having a hard time finding them Premade. And let’s be clear here, a “3 phase extension cord” is just 10 guage 3 wire with a plug.

Technically, you need 10-3 with ground sjoow. The plugs will be way more than the cable if you buy new. Not sure I have ever bought a new 3 phase 250v or 480v or 600v plug or recept.

Blog Entries
    Flexible cord, which counts all the wires in the cable assembly, is labeled differently that building cable, which ignores the grounding wire in the wire count.. For a 30A, 3 phase cord, you need 10/4.

I was thinking I was going to have to make my own.

Kinda confused as to which NEMA plugs / jacks to use. For 3 phase, 250V, do I use NEMA 15 (e.g. NEMA 15-30), or NEMA 11 (e.g. NEMA 11-30)?

And which are the locking plugs for those? I couldn't find those.

Part of this, I assume, is whether I need 3 or 4 wires for my Felder 3-Phase equipment.

Thanks.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off

Blog Entries
    I was thinking I was going to have to make my own.

Kinda confused as to which NEMA plugs / jacks to use. For 3 phase, 250V, do I use NEMA 15 (e.g. NEMA 15-30), or NEMA 11 (e.g. NEMA 11-30)?

And which are the locking plugs for those? I couldn't find those.

Part of this, I assume, is whether I need 3 or 4 wires for my Felder 3-Phase equipment.

Thanks.
    Here you go:

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...b2vC4JU2iULxM:

This is the type of place I would go to for buying the cord, and plugs. https://www.worldelectricsupply.com/...tampa-fl-33619 Their prices can be as low as half of what the big box stores sell the same thing for. Anyone behind the counter should be able to help you with what you need.

Take pictures of what you have with you when you go. I would buy type SOOW cord. I'm still dragging around some of that type that are 35 years old.

The "plugs" come with detailed, full size diagrams on the back of the package that show how much of the wire needs to be stripped. The outer cover is very tough. Bend it, and cut very carefully into the outside of the bend with a sharp knife, like a utility knife, until you see the cover parting. Don't slice into the conductors inside the outer cover in the process. Work your way around like that by changing the bending position.

Use a good quality screwdriver, that fills up the slots in the screw heads all the way, with a good fit, and tighten them about as tight as you can.

It's not hard. You just have to take your time with good tools.

I bought a 20amp generator cord by mistake. It turns out that the plugs match my 3hp three phase table saw. That saw, an old Powermatic 66, is on wheels. I use it for rabbeting. It's nice to push it off out of the way, and be able to run it.

The 30 amp generator cord might suit your needs.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-2...-301321902-_-N

I decided to use only one type of 240 outlet. A four conducter grounded outlet. I use this for 20 or 30 amp service. not really code but it lets me use the same extensions for multiple machines. I do use a different one for 50 amp welders. Not all of my outlets carry a neutral even if they have a slot for one.
    Bil lD.

Frank:

Thanks for the link. Being Tampa based, I'll definitely drop by there.

I guess, my question was should I use NEMA 15 or NEMA 11 plugs/jacks. It looks like NEMA 15 is much more common, and I can get locking plugs for them. What do people usually use for 3-phase lets say 30 amp circuits for the plugs and outlets on their machines? Does code specify one vs the other?

...I guess, my question was should I use NEMA 15 or NEMA 11 plugs/jacks...
    Alan, the NEMA 11 does not include a pole for the grounding conductor. Since your equipment will probably require a safety ground I think the NEMA 15 would be a wiser choice.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

I did some screen scrapes of a NEMA chart and created a composite image that might be helpful here...

NEMA-4wire.jpg
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...