Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dilemma re General model 130 planer with 3-phase motor

Jon, are you sure about the motor frame size? 145T is common. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    Jon, you're in Canada? Is your supply voltage 240V 1-phase?

Any chance the motor is dual-voltage?

I'm not certain, but I don't think you'll find a VFD that will run a 600V motor from 240V. You could buy a step-up transformer and a 600V VFD, but I think it would be much cheaper to just buy a new (1-phase) motor...
    Hi, the 600 volt motors aren't dual voltage (No 300 volt services).The US has 240/480, aside from US equipment we have 208 or 600 volt 3 phase......................regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    If you are in Canada you should contact Jack Forsberg or Matt Matt. They may know of a used transformer to step the voltage to 600 and then supply you with a vfd. The 600v motor does make things harder and a motor swap might be the cheapest fix. 240-600 transformers can be found cheap in Canada but you still need the vfd. A vfd can't step up voltage. If you swap the motor you will also need to replace the starter. Dave
    Hi David, there are a lot of used 208/600 volt transformers however they're normally delta on the 600 volt side.

You need an auto-transformer and they're pretty rare used........Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory King View Post
    Jon: looks like you got hold of some old school machinery. Bought this one a few years ago. Came with a 3 Phase motor. I swapped it out for a single ph. 240 V. , 2 Hp. for $200. Had to get one set of knives reground. Other set brand new. Really quiet machine to work with. Will never leave my shop. Enjoy. Greg

Attachment 400949Attachment 400950Attachment 400951

Hey, another New Brunswicker on here! Well I guess I'm an Ontarian right now, but I'm from out east and moving back to southern NB soon....

B

I agree Rod. Delta to wye step up isolation is usually my first choice. Autotransformers are usually lighter and cheaper but not so much as the voltage change gets wide but at least the step up vs step down becomes irrelevant. I built a three phase transformer using two single phase transformers but sure don't want to open that can of worms. In this case it probably doesn't work economically unless the neighbor has a working one in the garbage pile. Dave
    Last edited by David Kumm; 01-11-2019 at 5:01 PM.