Thread: Seeking help with my Starrett combination square...

Seeking help with my Starrett combination square...

Hello everyone -

A few years ago I was lucky enough to come across a Starrett combination square at a neighbor's garage sale. I walked out of the garage sale two bucks poorer, but I was the world's newest owner of a Starrett combination square. The square had no scriber, which did little to lower my enthusiasm.

Fast forward to today. A pawn shop is located along my route home from work. I had some time, so I stopped in.

Picking through the pawn shop's "Misc." bin, I discovered what looked like a Starrett scriber. I bought it, and hurried home.

Got home, and introduced scriber to square. The scriber seems to be too long! When I insert it, the fit seems snug. But I get a hard stop at the distance you see in Pic. 4.

Did I purchase a non-Starrett scriber? I had a rough idea of what a scriber looked like, but maybe I was mistaken? The scriber's full length, from top of crown to point, is approximately 2.75". The scriber was inserted to a depth of 1.75" (Shown in pic 3)

Does anyone have a Starrett combo square handy and can you tell me the length of your scriber?

Thank you kindly in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

1-9/16 (1.562) excluding head.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I would drill the hole deeper...

If I am understanding you correctly, Bruce, the scriber I have not the OEM scriber for my square?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Miyata View Post
    If I am understanding you correctly, Bruce, the scriber I have not the OEM scriber for my square?
    That is correct.... Mine measures the same as Bruce's.

Thank you, gentlemen.

Lastly, this scriber I purchased....is it a bona fide Starrett scriber?

If you look closely at the round ball and of the scribe it is probably pressed or brazed onto the stem part. Should be able to remove and cut stem shorter then put ball end back on.

It is possible that it is a Starrett scriber, but for a different version of the combo head. Starrett has made a lot of different combo squares over the years. One of mine has a scriber hole that was 1 7/8, and the other was 2+ inches.

Starrett has made many different sizes of combo squares from 4" to 24" (and metric versions )that I know of and maybe special bigger ones as well. I assume the scriber has changed in size over the centuries and also with the size of the tool. What size is your square?
    Bill D.

That appears to be the cast iron square head. I checked the scriber in my CI head, and it measures 1.779" OAL.

Be careful if you attempt to drill the hole deeper in the square head. I'm pretty sure all my Starrett combo squares have springs in the holes to hold the scribers in place...

I'd also be careful about cutting/brazing/welding the body of the scriber, as it may have been heat treated to harden it. If in doubt, call up to Athol. I've found them to be helpful in the past.

ETA: You need to get you a genuine Starrett rule to go in your square, instead of that painted abomination. I like the one with the satin chrome finish with 1/8, 1/16, 1/32 and 1/64 grads, but there are all kinds.
    Last edited by Jacob Reverb; 01-10-2019 at 6:16 PM.

Mine overall is 1 15/16" long. It's original to the forged steel head that I bought in the late 80's.

I would cut the scribe shorter and regrind a tip to it. It may very well be a nonstandard dimaeter since it was probbaly designed before standards existed or micrometers had been invented to measure them.. Just like then odd ball screws that hold my starrett level vial in place. there is no other source. they are something like #8-29