Thread: Emergency battery jumper

Emergency battery jumper

My old HF one died so I need a new one. I seem to remember a thread here a while back but can not find it so if someone can point me to it or make a recomendation. I would like one a lot smaller than my old HF one, Amazon preferred. Thanks.
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

Thanks, how well does it work ? how long does it last before needing recharging ?
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

I took mine apart when it died. All it is is a small gell cell 12V battery conencted to a transformer etc. Would be very easy to replace for about $20.00. It was just spade connectors not even a tool required except to unscrew the case. Got an old Barbie car around the neighborhood?
    Bil lD.

I bought a really cheap one on some Amazon sale 2 years ago and gave it to my son. He has used it successfully three times. So I have to conclude that any of them are fine.

Though I have to wonder why my son needed it 3 times in 18 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Donley View Post
    Thanks, how well does it work ? how long does it last before needing recharging ?
    They claim the "shelf life" at full charge is 6-12 months, and recommend a recharge every 3 months. As far as number of starts per charge goes, that depends on the current draw of your starter and crank time required, but the battery is roughly 18AH if that helps with the math.

The instructions are awesomely hilarious though, probably machine-translated from Chinese...reminded me of 1960's Japanese stereo gear.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

0n the newer LI units, there are many choices, with most being in the $70 - $100 range. The first time I saw one in use, I said "NO WAY!" I was wrong as it quickly started the vehicle with the dead battery. It was about the size of a smart phone, only much thicker. HF sells one, along with several at Walmart.