Thread: How to adjust belt tension on MM 20

How to adjust belt tension on MM 20

I have a MiniMax MM20 (02/2246) which seems to need drive a belt adjustment, or replacement (screech on startup). The manual I have does not cover either subject. I'm hoping you folks can point me in the right direction for more information.
    The belt shows very little wear, but doesn't seem as tight as I would expect. This machine has seen extremely light use.
    Thanks,
    Herb Flower
    HJF

Herb,
    This is a coincidence. I just finished tightening the belt on my MM20 for the same reason (screech on startup). What are the odds that two MM20 owners would be encountering the same problem on the same day?

Anyway, here is the procedure:

1. Unplug the machine, remove the blade.

2. Open the lower cabinet, you will see four bolt 17mm bolt heads around the drive shaft sheave. These are the motor mount bolts. Some people might only loosen three, using the fourth as a pivot point, but I loosen all four of them. I had to tilt the table to access the corresponding nuts on the motor side. Even then, it took some long nose vise grips to hold the lowest nut stationary because it is difficult to access unless you have a better collection of mechanic's tools than I.

3. You will see a six inch long bolt with a locking nut on the motor side of the machine. It's either 18 or 19mm. It pushes up against a bracket mounted to the motor. Now that the motor mounts are loosened, turning this bolt counter clockwise will raise the bolt, pushing the motor up thereby tightening the belt. I made a pencil mark along the motor flange to gauge my progress. In my case I turned the bolt perhaps one full turn.

4. While you're in there, take a rag with some solvent and wipe out the sheave in case there is any oil or residue in there that might contribute to the belt slipping.

5. When you're satisfied, lock down the motor adjustment bolt, tighten the motor mount bolts up, install a blade, plug in and see if the screech is gone.

This should resolve your problem. If it doesn't, then maybe your belt is bad (glazed or cracked).
    Hope this helps you,
    Edwin
    Last edited by Edwin Santos; 01-09-2019 at 7:44 PM.

Edwin,
    Yes, a remarkable coincidence. I'll get back to it this weekend.

Thanks for your response.

Herb
    HJF

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    Herb,
    This is a coincidence. I just finished tightening the belt on my MM20 for the same reason (screech on startup). What are the odds that two MM20 owners would be encountering the same problem on the same day?
    Edwin
    My MM20 is about 2 1/2 years old and it's been screeching on startup for a few months now, so this is timely; maybe I'll get to it tomorrow since shop time is kind of slow right now.