Thread: Tri Color Cup

Question Tri Color Cup

I was at a birthday party the other night for one of my friends and he introduced me to a friend of his that owns a big grading company. He was holding a yeti cup that had his logo on opposite sides and we got to talking about laser engraving. He showed me his logo (black letters and the bulldozer was in red) and said he would really like to get that laser engraved into a white yeti. He said he was looking for 400+ cups , so doing color changing on the fiber isn't an option.

I have been thinking about ways to get the letters in black and the bulldozer in red but haven't come up with a great solution yet. Maybe engraving with a vinyl mask and airbrushing the red and black on. Is there anything else that I'm not think of that would make more sense?
    Universal 60w VLS6.60 w/ rotary
    RayFine 30w MOPA
    Corel X8, Photoshop

Fab shop with South Bend Heavy 10, Bridgeport 9x42, 185a welder and a multitude of supporting tools/equipment

Screen printing, UV Printing, or pad printing depending on the size. For 400 screen printing would be the only way to do them economically.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    Screen printing, UV Printing, or pad printing depending on the size. For 400 screen printing would be the only way to do them economically.
    His current cups are laser engraved and he wanted to stay with the engraving, but I'm with you in that I don't think it would be very economical. How does the printing(screen, UV, pad) hold up to dishwashers (you know they are going to put them in the dishwasher...) and normal use?
    Universal 60w VLS6.60 w/ rotary
    RayFine 30w MOPA
    Corel X8, Photoshop

Fab shop with South Bend Heavy 10, Bridgeport 9x42, 185a welder and a multitude of supporting tools/equipment

What goes first when cleaned in a dishwasher, the screenprinting or the seams on the cup.. machine washing is not good for either
    Bruce Clumpner
    Brandon Services Laser Engraving
    Academy Commemoratives - Personalized Memorabilia for the U.S. Service Academies
    Irvine, CA
    -
    Epilog 75-watt Helix, 40-watt 18-Mini
    Started with Corel Draw V1 now feeling the pain of CorelDraw x7
    CS4 photoshop
    CS4 illustrator
    PhotoGrav

Yetis aren't dishwasher safe, laser engraved or not.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

400? Find a local fulfillment/promotional company and check out what it would cost to have them done in color. They can supply the bottles too. You can be a middleman and make a few bucks or just steer your friend(s) to them.

Only so much 'engraving' can accomplish. In color logos, not many options aside from MOPA (which isn't 'engraving' anyway)
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Laser engraving = Silver engraving

Color = silkscreen/UV Print/Pad print

If they wanted 5, you could try doing something with your laser and color filling after. On 400, it would be a terrible idea.

I'd also be very careful wasting too much time on this project. People love to talk a big game around friends/neighbors but when they run the math of $20 a pop x 400 and realize they're spending $8k on coffee mugs, they tend to change from 400 pieces down to 20-30. Also you'll often find that these larger companies have partners. One might always want to spend money while the others are more conservative and watch the numbers more carefully.

I'd proceed professionally, but with caution. Make sure you get a fair deposit up front.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Blog Entries
    One way is to engrave both, with mask. and then add powder coating -red- to just the bulldozer. But unless you already do PCing, it might not be what you want to do. It does work.
    But 400? I'd just offer to engrave through the white. Heck he could do combination white, red and black cups. But I DO agree with Ross. Unless he's forking over the $ for the yetis, up front, I'd not do it.
    and that would be minimum. Maybe less expensive JDS or other brand might fit if he gets $ shy.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others