Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Seriously Considering Getting Rid of my Table Saw

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Heath View Post
    Shut your saw down, and give it a try. That'll tell you whether or not you can go without.
    Excellent suggestion! Try it!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I sold my cabinet saw when moving and going to a small basement shop. Have a Dewalt DW7491? Job site saw that collapses nicely and use that for all my ripping needs. I can’t imagine doing narrow ripping any other way than on a table saw of some sort. All other cuts are with my Festool track saw mostly on a MFT/3 or on saw horses.

Get rid of my table saw? The tool that I use most often in my shop?

I've thought long and hard about this, since track saws became available, but I came to the conclusion that I just prefer having the ability to do everything the way that I have done it all my life versus learning new ways to do everything that I'm doing now on my table saw some other way is just not something that I want to do. I've gone through 5 table saws in my life starting with one that would never cut anything straight, to finally getting a Unisaw that seems to be more accurate than I could ever hope for, and then selling it off to start using a track saw and other tools and learning new ways to do everything that I've always done on a table saw just isn't going to happen in my remaining lifetime. At 77 it's too late in my life to try.

No thanks, I'm keeping my 40 year old 3rd owner used Unisaw and Wixey DRO. Track saws have a purpose, and so do the rest of my woodworking tools, but I still try to use whatever tool will do the best for each purpose, and I don't feel that anything can totally replace my Unisaw.

Charley

Get the MFT first, try it out a bit and THEN decide if you can live without your SawStop.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Blog Entries
    I will not give up my contractor's saw. I really value being able to make absolutely square cuts. I can do it on my band saw but I prefer the table saw.
    I have a plywood track that I can use skill saw on. It works pretty much like a track saw.

I haven't used my table saw for a couple years. Depending on your needs its possible to never miss a table saw and some will always say its impossible. For me the door closed on my table saw when I got my Felder FB 610 band saw. Smaller band saws I have had in the past could never retire my table saw but the FB 610 will rip lumber, plastics and any other material I use faster then a table saw and its a lot safer. I own a track saw but I only use it when I am off site. I do have a panel saw though that takes care of breaking down large sheets.

Basically I have alternative ways of working without a table saw that are convenient and safer.

I also use my bandsaw a lot more then my tablesaw and I really like my tablesaw.The thing that sways me away from the table saw is the 1/8 saw kerf is huge compared to a bandsaws kerf. 2 cuts is a 1/4 inch
    I have a Rk blade on my bandsaw and the kerf is really small i must be getting frugal?
    Aj

Blog Entries
    I have never had a table saw in my workshop. It’s an easy tool to replace for ripping, I prefer to use a bandsaw for that. Everything I rip to size is edged in the planer, so I have perfectly parallel edges. It’s not an easy tool to replace for accurate crosscuts. Track saws can do it with the right additional equipment. SCMS’s are not accurate enough to really replace it. Radial arm saws might be accurate enough.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I'm a serious hobbyist and I upgraded table saws as I could afford it and ended up with a new 3HP Unisaw. In our kitchen remodel I made many/many cabinet frames and raised panel doors and found I used my track saw for about 90% of the cuts so I sold my TS. Six months later I bought that small Bosch bench top since I found I really needed a TS in my shop. Then one afternoon I got lucky and found a 1950 Uni for $150 on CL - sold the bench top. Completely restored the Uni with my youngest son. It doesn't get used a lot but runs smoother that any TS I've had and another advantage is the table top on this older saw is smaller that the new ones so it doesn't take up much space in the shop.

When I first started woodworking, I thought I didn't want a tablesaw due to the inherent danger and space. Bought an mft and ts75. A year later, after being frustrated with the accuracy and inability to cut small or narrow pieces, I ended up with a used powermatic saw. The mft was converted into an outfeed for my tablesaw, with the protractor/rail bits tossed to the wayside. I still use the tracksaw to break down sheet goods, but refine them on the ts. In my experience, the mft cannot match a ts for versatility, accuracy, repeatability, or speed. Try cutting joinery like dovetails, box joints, grooves, dadoes, with an mft. Need to sneak up on a cut and take a few thou off? have fun. (I like hand tools for that, but sometimes it's just faster to do while your standing at the ts) You can rip narrow stuff on the bandsaw, but refining on the jointer and planer is another step that just takes time. I have a minimax, which I love, but even with a resaw king it still needs a bit of cleaning up. Plus you'll probably waste more material compared to a thin kerf ts blade if you aren't careful with getting rid of drift.

Anyway, I think the mft guide was a waste of money and I haven't used it in 10 years. The table itself is useful, but if I had the experience I have now, I wouldn't spend 700 for that. I recently built a paulk inspired bench with storage for my power tools and love it. The larger surface area let's me cut full width sheet goods with parf dogs, something you cant do with the mft because it's too small. Also as a general workbench, its wobbly as all get out. Years ago I solved that problem by building a 6in thick, 8 foot roubo lol. My poor mft has been relegated to a place to stack wood while I cut it on the ts. 20190101_224222.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Chan View Post
    My poor mft has been relegated to a place to stack wood while I cut it on the ts. 20190101_224222.jpg
    Your experience is echoed by many. Woodpeckers, TSO etc. came up with expensive solutions for tracksaw and MFT users to solve all kinds of problems that can be handled with ease on a tablesaw, but many tracksaw users using the after-market accessories will tell you they are "happy." Their tools , their money, who is to complain?

To suggest that the bandsaw can do the job of a tablesaw is like saying a handsaw can do the job of a tablesaw. A bandsaw can do some of the tasks of a tablesaw and vice versa, but they don't replace one another. You have given some good examples why a tracksaw +MFT can't fulfill the functions of a tablesaw, some of them, like dados, are also impossible to be done with a bandsaw.

A woodturner may never need a tablesaw, but it does not mean any other woodworker should turn their tablesaws into an assembly table.

Simon

Blog Entries
    I bought a track saw and ditched the table saw. A month later, I was looking for a new table saw. The track saw doesn’t work well with narrow stock. I still prefer it for ripping and for dimensioning plywood, but I need a tablesaw.

What do you hope to gain by ditching your table saw? Space? Money?

I generally feel that even if a tool gets used only once in a while, it's worth having, especially now that you own it. I admit the table saw is not my favorite tool, but it is my go-to for precise mitering, precise crosscutting and I tend to use a dado set a lot. Today I need to cut some 1/4" dadoes at a 8 degree angle. It would be a huge pain to try and jig up the router table to do that whereas the tilting arbor on the table saw makes it very easy. What about non-through cuts and rabbeting where one cut is with the workpiece on edge? I don't think there is a way to do that with a track saw. What about tenon shoulders?

I can assure you, the week after you get rid of your table saw, you'll need to make some of these cuts and you will keep thinking about how easy it would have been with your table saw and it will drive you mad. Murphy's law.
    My $.02.
    Edwin

I tried ditching my table saw for a track saw, and decided to keep. I found narrow stock to be a problem, I also thought if you just need to shave a bit off the track saw wasn't a solid option. The only way I would get rid of the table saw would be if I had 2 bandsaws and was doing more hand tool work.

I feel your challenge

Quote Originally Posted by David Justice View Post
    Has anyone done this? I have a SawStop, but it's big and I really don't use it that much. I use a track saw for all plywood cutting and for ripping long boards. Most other cuts I usually go to my band saw. Really thinking of selling the SawStop and getting a MFT table for the track saw. I think that this would cover all of my cuts.

Curious if anyone has gone this way and how it worked out?
    Around 25 years ago I purchased my first table saw: a contractor saw that was replaced last year for a newer contractor saw just to complement my (hand) power saw and an aluminum guide turning it functionally my "track saw".

I have a small shop with only 104 square foot. Unfortunately I did not have space for the dreamed slide saw I would like have so my "second best solution" is just a small contractor saw and my power saw guided by an heavy duty alu guide. When using the power saw I prefer to work on the garage only to cut the wood.

Bottom line: if you can afford the price and space, go to a "seriously decent sized" stationary saw, otherwise you will survive with a power saw. A small (good quality) contractor saw can be a welcome "luxury" for some situations.
    Last edited by Osvaldo Cristo; 01-11-2019 at 1:00 PM. Reason: Typo as usual
    All the best.

Osvaldo.