Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: moxon overbuild??

moxon overbuild??

Decided I needed a moxon vise and ended up with something others might think is overbuilt. I prefer the term "stout". Those are 2 Yost 18" vise screws. Acme threads, 1 1/4" diam. Very heavy. Might have to re-think the final version. LOL
    20190107_185819.jpg20190107_185836.jpg20190107_190506.jpg20190108_164958.jpg
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Bill, its just perfect the way it is. With long enough pipes, you could insert coal and make diamonds!

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Viellenave View Post
    Bill, its just perfect the way it is. With long enough pipes, you could insert coal and make diamonds!
    LMFAO - thx for the morning chuckle.

Looks good to me!

Clamp up a nice wide piece of 12/4 stock & then see how much overbuilt it seems.

Doug

Looks perfect for marking out pins! Nicely done!

TedP

Something else you can do with that vise; If you want to replace a chair spindle you could set it over the vise and pull it apart as gently as you please.

Nice! If you think it is to big set it to the side build a smaller one & one you will need the size.

Nicely done!

I have lined all my vises with leather. On one face. It really improves the holding power of the vises and reduces the need to reef down on the screw. Some folks use sandpaper. . . . not crazy about that at all.

Stout is good!

Nice design and size. By securing the pin board to the flat top, both hands are free and no need to worry about the work shifting when marking out the pins.

Dunno if it's overbuilt. I have a couple of old acme press screws laying around ... sure would be easier to just use them than building a screw box.

I especially like your hold downs in the T-track on top. And I especially like the idea of such a vise, since I made my workbench with a leg vise and wagon vise, and I'm always looking for a big, wide vise like this to do things those others won't accommodate. Is the carcass (inner guts) of your vise made of MDF?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    Decided I needed a moxon vise and ended up with something others might think is overbuilt. I prefer the term "stout".
    I am now going to refer to myself as overbuilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Porterfield View Post
    Dunno if it's overbuilt. I have a couple of old acme press screws laying around ... sure would be easier to just use them than building a screw box.

I especially like your hold downs in the T-track on top. And I especially like the idea of such a vise, since I made my workbench with a leg vise and wagon vise, and I'm always looking for a big, wide vise like this to do things those others won't accommodate. Is the carcass (inner guts) of your vise made of MDF?
    Yes, the guts are mdf. It was my first attempt at making a mortising jig for the router. Didn't like the way it worked so bought a mortiser, and re-purposed the mdf "box" into the moxon.

Looks like the screws are close enough to the top - pulling in the sides shouldn't be an issue?

Beefy is good. Always nice to have extra capacity.
    Regards,

Kris

finally got as chance to use the moxon for what it was made fore - dovetails. Thing is rock solid and one of the things I was hoping would work, does. I dropped the front jaw of the vise 1/4" so I could get my square on the pin board to line up the tail board nice and square. Works very well. Also flushes the boards up nicely.
    20190309_192213.jpg20190309_192228.jpg

Agree on the leather, it really holds.