Thread: Plane ID Help

Plane ID Help

I was cleaning up in my shop and came across this plane. No idea where I got it or how long I have had it. I could not find any names on it without cleaning it and I do not want to do that. It measures 13" long by 2 5/16" wide with a 1 7/8" cutter. Both the iron and cap are stamped with Sanderson Bros & Co Cast Steel Sheffield. The iron is tapered and laminated. I thought it was an interesting shape. It appears to be made from two halves glued together at midline with a harder wood inset in front of the mouth on the sole as you can see in the photos. Disregard the brace. It's just an old Stanley 923 10" swing. I think it came with the plane.

I would like to see if the substantial braintrust here can identify this and provide any value estimate.

Thanks very much.Mystery plane 1.jpgMystery plane 2.jpgMystery plane 3.jpg
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Blog Entries
    A reverse razee?

To me it seems the knob may have been added in its line of ownership.

This was at the top of the list when > Sanderson Bros & Co Cast Steel Sheffield < was fed into Google:

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Sanderson_Brothers_and_Co

It appears the business was renamed Sanderson Brothers in 1829.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 01-09-2019 at 2:23 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The piece in front of the mouth may have been added to tighten up the mouth after the sole wore away. I had to do that to one of my old woodies.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hulbert View Post
    The piece in front of the mouth may have been added to tighten up the mouth after the sole wore away. I had to do that to one of my old woodies.
    +1 on this, a common occurrence found on old beloved woodies.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks Jim & Dan. I saw that website as well Jim. Not much real help. I doubt Sanderson made the plane, seems they were mostly into the steel. Syracuse, NY is about an hour west of where I grew up. I also thought the piece on the sole could be a retrofit. If it is it was done well. There is also an insert on the top of the plane behind the cutter that looks to be original. I looked again for any names today with no joy.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Might be for use in a mitre jack/shooting board?