Thread: Resaw king disposal?

Resaw king disposal?

My 15 year old Resaw King blade broke during routine use the other day and I decided it was time for a new one. Replaced it temporarily with a 3/4 Wood Slicer but they are not comparable. The RK is faster, and smoother. My old blade was 1" width and came with the Laguna SE14" saw. I never felt it belonged on a 14" saw, even though if any 14" saw could come close to tensioning this blade the SE could. It has been sharpened 3X. So be assured I ordered a 3/4" blade to replace it. BUT what does one do with a used broken blade such as this? The blade has several other cracks so repairing it is $ foolish. Does anyone know of any uses for a sharp carbide tipped blade pieces?

I fold them up put them in a box and dump them. Some people use the backer for scratch stock and the like but I never have. I kept a 1 1/4" carbon blade for that purpose and haven't used any of it in well over a decade.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Jig saw blade.

Interesting parallel--in October of 2014 i bought a 2004 model 14 SE (Bulgarian made by Stomana) from the original owner. Came with a 1" Resaw King. In November of 2018 that blade let go--very similar fracture, several cracks all the way around. I've mostly been cutting turning blanks for the past few months so i'm using a basic 1/2" while i decide on the next resaw blade. Nice saw, but i'm only comparing to the 14" Ridgid that needs to be sold...probably in the spring when i can dig it out from the back of the shop without freezing!!

Sounds like a similar lifetime.
    earl

Bread knives

Bernie, I have a RK for the 14 SE saw. I’ve never liked it on mine so it’s basically new though 5+ years old. If you’re interested send me a PM.

Make a frame saw with part of it.

Morse code practice key.
    Bill D.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    Bread knives
    Great idea but the teeth are too far apart!
    Last edited by Bernie Kopfer; 01-09-2019 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Lazz View Post
    Bernie, I have a RK for the 14 SE saw. I’ve never liked it on mine so it’s basically new though 5+ years old. If you’re interested send me a PM.
    I have already ordered a 3/4" RK. But thanks for the offer. What width is yours and why don't you like it?

I send blades that have become late to my local scrap metal yard along with other mixed scrap. I roll them up and tie them with wire so they don't flop around.
    Zach

That is funny Bill, it nice to see that those here have varied hobbies N2ZAD.

Blog Entries
    My absolute favorite knives were made by my wife's uncle (long deceased). He used to salvage power hacksaw blades from the shop where he worked. The handles were no good but the blades are great. I've always had a rule: "you can either have a blade that doesn't rust or a blade that holds an edge". These blades hold an edge. One of them is a very thin blade material. That's my goto tomato slicer.

I would imagine that the body of the RK blade is pretty thin. Maybe you could make a small set of slicing knives. Put a 1/8" scale on one side and a 3/16" scale on the other. Place the knife against the cutting board and move the tomato against the knife. You now have a mandolin without messing with cleaning all the parts. Make another knife for 1/4" and 5/16". The thin blades won't be a problem since the knives are strictly for slicing tomatoes and the like.

You could even put handles at both ends for stability.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Kopfer View Post
    I have already ordered a 3/4" RK. But thanks for the offer. What width is yours and why don't you like it?
    It’s 1”....it’s what Laguna sold me. I’m not sure if it was a tension problem or not. I have a first generation 14SE...so that’s possibly it, though they said it would work. It was early in my resawing career, so it could’ve been me too.

Earl is taking it. I hope it works for him. The thing was hardly used.