Thread: Yankee Drill

Blog Entries

Yankee Drill

I was just in the shop and saw my Yankee Drill. I suspect some of you younger guys don't know about them.

https://www.garrettwade.com/garrett-...caAlf0EALw_wcB

I have an antique with all if the bits. I don't use it much anymore, but will.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I was just in the shop and saw my Yankee Drill. I suspect some of you younger guys don't know about them.

https://www.garrettwade.com/garrett-...caAlf0EALw_wcB

I have an antique with all if the bits. I don't use it much anymore, but will.
    During my days as a telephone installer mine was used all the time. Now they mostly sit in a drawer:

Push Drills Stanley #41.jpg

The weak point is the threads at the base of the handle. A lot of telephone workers were in the habit of pushing up on the nut to close the cup. Eventually this wore out the threads and the cup wouldn't close.

The older design with the spinning cap was good. My recollection is this one had a difficult to operate bit release that could have the user ending up with a hole in the palm of their hand.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Use mine often. Elbow battery never needs charging.
    Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Mine sit mostly on my bench to be admired. They do see occasional use.

I have and use exactly the one you linked to Lowell!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Unbeatable for installing small hardware around the house - blinds and the like. Fit in the back pocket of the jeans, fast and efficient.
    Last edited by Bill Houghton; 01-08-2019 at 5:16 PM.

I bought a German-made Schroeder drill/screwdriver at the local Sears a while back, and it managed to make its way into a frequently used tool roll.

Have 2 of the North Brothers made ones..and a couple by Millers Falls....small pilot holes seem to be the best job for mine..
    push drills.jpg
    I keep them set up by the size tips I need the most...Black handled one is almost worn out,,,

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    Use mine often. Elbow battery never needs charging.
    Jim
    You must not have my elbows!