Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tracing a dotted line

Tracing a dotted line

Have this dotted outline of a cat that I want to cut. Tried all the tracing features and it still comes out dotted how do I make it a solid line so I can us laser to cut it.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

If you trace a dotted line then you should get a dotted line, as long as trace is working well anyway. If you want it to be solid then use the node edit tool and edit the nodes so that they connect to each other.

Bert--

select the whole 'image', then combine, then use the 'Arrange/close path' function. choose closest nodes with 'straight lines' or 'curvy lines', depending on which works better...

IF you've traced it and your 'dots' are now circles or ovals, re-trace the original using the 'centerline' trace option, this should leave you with open lines that the close-path function can work with...
    Last edited by Kev Williams; 01-08-2019 at 3:04 PM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

nothing is working. I combined but I don't find a close path option. If I do a centerline trace nothing shows. And I cant figure out the node tools argg guess I'll just try to hand trace them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Bert--

select the whole 'image', then combine, then use the 'Arrange/close path' function. choose closest nodes with 'straight lines' or 'curvy lines', depending on which works better...

IF you've traced it and your 'dots' are now circles or ovals, re-trace the original using the 'centerline' trace option, this should leave you with open lines that the close-path function can work with...
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Can you wire frame it?
    Two things which are always true.........."No matter where you go, there you are" and "You can't outrun yourself"
    Rabbit QX60-9060, Corel 2017, PhotoGrav, 24x40 laser shop and 24x24 building with woodworking and other messy tools. No background or natural aptitude but lots of ambition.

Print it on a bit of paper, get a sharpie feltpen, and draw it over the dots, then scan that back in & trace.
    Best wishes,
    Ian

ULS M-300, 55w made 2002 with rotary. Goldenlaser 130 watt, 1300x700 made 2011.
    Flat bed 2500x1300 150/90watt 2 tube laser, 2018 model.
    Esab router, 1989, 4.5 x 2.0 m, conv. to Tekcel, and modded a 2nd time.
    HP L260-60". Roland PNC-1410. Mimaki GC-130 SU.
    Screenprinting carousel 6x4 and 7x4 ft 1-arm bandit vac table.
    Corel Draw X3, Illy, Indesign & Photoshop CS2 & CS5, Enroute 4
    Pencil, paper, paintbrush, airbrush & dagger-liners & assorted other stuff.

Or just take the time to re-draw in corel
    Bruce Clumpner
    Brandon Services Laser Engraving
    Academy Commemoratives - Personalized Memorabilia for the U.S. Service Academies
    Irvine, CA
    -
    Epilog 75-watt Helix, 40-watt 18-Mini
    Started with Corel Draw V1 now feeling the pain of CorelDraw x7
    CS4 photoshop
    CS4 illustrator
    PhotoGrav

Its still a dotted line in wire frame
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Clumpner View Post
    Or just take the time to re-draw in corel
    Thats what I ended up doing but I had 3 cats to do and it took some time. I was hoping an easy way to just get a solid line trace.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    Thats what I ended up doing but I had 3 cats to do and it took some time. I was hoping an easy way to just get a solid line trace.
    Bert I have been looking at a digitizing or drawing tablet like this to trace customers line drawings and I do not know what software would work with it? Anyone have suggestions as it this would work or not? Link> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CYCOYSU...v_ov_lig_dp_it
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Bill
    That replaces your mouse so it'll work with whatever you have on your mac or pc. I have one of those and it works with both my Mac and my pc. I use it mostly for photo editing as it is a bit difficult to get the hang of. I also have a Graphire that I've used with my older pc's.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I ordered one off Amazon and primary use, if I have a part to make I can use it to digitize it and take into a CAD program. I figure if I lay it on the pad trace around it with the pen, or as Bert's cats trace that out from paper directly into Corel Draw. Yes I know Corel has a trace and I have used it with some success but sometimes the result is a double jagged line trace.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

not something I'll be doing to often so if I have to hand trace I'll do it
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I'd love to see the original file...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Dotted Cat fileDotted Cat.cdr
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander