Thread: Delta Homecraft 46-100 and Spindle Turning

Delta Homecraft 46-100 and Spindle Turning

I’ve just recently picked up an old Delta Homecraft 46-110. The lathe came with a ¼ HP single pulley motor that seems a bit underpowered. I have a lead on a newer Delta ¾ HP motor that I would like to use instead. Thelathe has a No. 932 pulley which I would like to replicate on the motor, but I can’t seem to find that specific pulley for a reasonable price. Would any 4 step pulley of similar diameters work with minimal effect on the lathe speed,or do I need to match the diameters of the pulley on the headstock exactly?

Currently I’m only interested in spindle turning, specifically just basic tapered chair and stool legs. I’m having a hard time finding resources for that kind of work, everything seems to be bowl and more ornate spindle turning specific. Does anyone have any leads on good resources for basic leg turning profiles?

Matthew, the ratio of the sizes of the two two pulleys dictates the speed the wood will spin. The reason for step pulleys on both the motor and the lathe spindle is to give a variety of speeds while keeping the belt size the same. For turning spindles you are better off with higher speeds. Remember that the higher the speed the less torque available from a given motor. The best speed is a tradeoff, difficult to know especially if beginning. Someone here with a small lathe with step pulleys might be able to recommend a speed if you want to stick with a single pulley.

I'm not familiar with that particular lathe. Years ago I had a lathe with an even less powerful motor and I turned plenty of spindles. Sharp tools and good technique will make up a lot for lack of power.

Yes, most people turn bowls. However, many of us turn spindles. I don't turn chair legs but I've turned thousands of spindles sized from about 1" long to hoe and shovel handles and everything in between. If you have questions on spindle turning just ask in the Turning forum.

Also, if you have a turning club near you will likely find plenty of people who are willing to help you get setup and started turning. You forgot to put your location in your profile but if you live near E. TN come buy for a free lesson.

There are MANY books and printed references for spindle turning and lots of videos. Unfortunately, some of the videos are not good and some may not be appropriate. I and others have specific book recommendations if you want them. Most on my shelves are general purpose books with both spindle and face turning. FWW did put out an old publication on just spindle turning, still available on Amazon. Also, search Amazon for spindle turning.

Be advised that many experts agree: if you learn to turn spindles you can learn the fine tool control that will let you turn anything. There are plenty of people who went the other way and can now turn a mean bowl but can't handle a skew chisel if they had to.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hartlin View Post
    I’ve just recently picked up an old Delta Homecraft 46-110. The lathe came with a ¼ HP single pulley motor that seems a bit underpowered. I have a lead on a newer Delta ¾ HP motor that I would like to use instead. Thelathe has a No. 932 pulley which I would like to replicate on the motor, but I can’t seem to find that specific pulley for a reasonable price. Would any 4 step pulley of similar diameters work with minimal effect on the lathe speed,or do I need to match the diameters of the pulley on the headstock exactly?

Currently I’m only interested in spindle turning, specifically just basic tapered chair and stool legs. I’m having a hard time finding resources for that kind of work, everything seems to be bowl and more ornate spindle turning specific. Does anyone have any leads on good resources for basic leg turning profiles?

Just refurbished a delta 1460 and needed to find 4 step pulleys for the motor and a countershaft. I was able to find the 932 pulley on an auction site. Think the motor on my setup used pulley number 718.