Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: anyone change out the bearings on a Nova live center?

Just a final reply from Nova. Without the proof of purchase nothing. He did suggest looking for some sales and the cheapest found was from Home Depot. https://www.homedepot.com/p/NOVA-Liv...5015/204488267 Good idea Alex, I have a fellow nearby that's a hobby machinist. He might enjoy doing it just for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Fritz View Post
    Just a final reply from Nova. Without the proof of purchase nothing. He did suggest looking for some sales and the cheapest found was from Home Depot. https://www.homedepot.com/p/NOVA-Liv...5015/204488267 Good idea Alex, I have a fellow nearby that's a hobby machinist. He might enjoy doing it just for fun.
    That's seems high - I've found them as cheap as $45 on sale. (I bought 2) But maybe they don't go on sale often.

I don't see where you live but if you are close drop it off and I'd be glad to try to take it apart. Yesterday I was able to get a PM3520 quill apart that was stuck stuck stuck. If you had a spare bearing you could also try prying out the rubber seal on the back, cleaning and lubricating, then putting another seal on it. I didn't write it down but I think the numbers on the back were 6202RZ.

JKJ

I personally like the steb centers on both the headstock and the tailstock ends for most of the smaller work I do. (I think I made an error in my other post and meant to say steb "live" center in one place, sorry.) I like the spring loaded points on both ends - they center perfectly without putting any splitting force on the work. And while I don't recommend having catches, if you do have one the steb centers can work a bit like a safety center and let the wood spin rather than induce trauma!

I don't have the larger steb live center but I like the small one (1/2") so much I should probably get the big one too (1" I think).

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    John - enjoy your posts they are very helpful.

(Sorry if I'm taking this off topic)

A while back another turner here that helped me with a pepper mill suggested a Steb drive center. I bought one and it works great. I see that there are Steb revolving centers. Was wondering which setup is best - drive side only/revolving side/or both sides?

Thanks,

Mike